The Time Has Come

31 replies to this topic

LizzieLou

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 27 posts
I want my Gay Wedding. I want some presents, dammit! And some tax breaks!

Fat Ephiny

• Members
  • 25 posts
LOL Girl!!! DITTO!!!

Heartfyre

• Members
  • 1 posts
I'm all for lesbians and gay men getting married.... I just can't understand WHY a lesbian would WANT to marry a gay man!!!

Filly

• Members
  • 8 posts
Good one! I heard someone straight say there is no reason why gays shouldn't be married. They said we should be just as miserable as everyone else. I agree, let us suffer too!

What do you guys think of the comparison of gays wanting civil rights to the black civil rights issues of the past? Is there a parallel? Is there something better to compare it to?

Does it make a difference to you if we are granted civil unions but not marriages? And do you think it's going to be any easier for a gay couple to adopt a child if we are granted unions of some sort?

Filly
Life is only what you make of it.
- Gabrielle

JESME

• Members
  • 1 posts
:D You have raised some very interesting questions. I have no answers. All I can say, for tonight, is that you've got me thinking. My initial response (off the top of my head): 1. Minority groups are minority groups. Homosexuals are a minority group. Afro-Americans are a minority group. Minority groups are often oppressed. There are many minority groups that are being oppressed but not all who are being denied their civil rights. Utilizing the Afro-American Civil Rights movement as parallel to Gay Rights is about as good as it gets. 2. I still am not certain as to what the differences are between marriage and civil unions. If one has the same civil rights through a civil union as they would through a legal marriage, a civil union would be enough for me. 3. Will civil unions lead to homosexuals being able to adopt? My thought: Yes, but we have a long way to go to get there. We have to be able to have a civil union first and who knows how long that might take? Maybe not even in my lifetime! Most thought-provoking. Would be interested in hearing others' thoughts. :?: :roll:

:) JesMe!

amoret

• Members
  • 4 posts
Did anyone happen to read the New York Times Magazine last Sunday? It would seem that Bush's vocal support for a constitutional ban on gay marriage will finally cost him some votes with the Log Cabin Republicans.

The URL is at http://www.nytimes.c...zine/index.html[/i]

Nailbunny

• Members
  • 29 posts
..its a dead link

amoret

• Members
  • 4 posts
Oops. I don't know how the extra letters got on the URL. The link to the NYT Magazine's front page is http://www.nytimes.c...zine/index.html

The articles should be free for another couple of days.

ThisTragicGirl

• Members
  • 10 posts
This past monday it was taken to legislation here in Ky, the turn out was awesome..there where queers everywhere.. just the opportunity to vote and poll on it of course, should be happening in November sometime...lets hope everyone in eastern Kentucky is too busy courting their cousins to take notice..

lesbotronic

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 191 posts
(post title being completely sarcastic, of course)

I hesitate to post links on sites run by folks I don't know since I don't know how long they'll stay active, but I couldn't help myself with this one because it SO perfectly summarizes my feelings on the subject and is amusing to boot:

http://www.12reasons.com

And since that page requests that those linking give proper credit, the page seems to be courtesy of "GatorGSA." I do not know what GatorGSA is. But I'd like to give them credit as requested. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users