Where are you?

4 replies to this topic

Woman2Woman

• Members
  • 5 posts
Hey where are you? Love to see some fellow women of color from where ever. How about it?

Blessings :D

zami

• Members
  • 29 posts
Hey!

Nice to see another person in here. I had suggested this forum, but then didn't come back to see if it made it! Thanks to the webmistress for setting this up....

So...what's up? :wink:
"If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive" ~ Audre Lorde

Woman2Woman

• Members
  • 5 posts
Hey Zami - Love your quote BTW. Good to hear from you, look forward to seeing some more posts here (HELLO ANYONE THERE?). So what's life like for women of color in Canada? I love hearing about life in other countries and about other cultures. I live in California in the vacinity of San Francisco - love it here. Haven't been outside the US despite my age, hope to change that eventually. Must admit that I don't have much to report about the life here. I posted in the forum about places etc. for meeting lesbians LOL. Well look forward to seeing a post from you. Peace & Blessings, W2W :)

zami

• Members
  • 29 posts
Hey again!

Sorry for the long time between replies, life is busy over here.

I live in Toronto, which has a host of interesting spaces for queer gyals of colour (see my post here: http://www.lesbotron...topic.php?t=327) as well as resources and stuff. But of course, the good always comes with the bad. Racism (and many other oppresions) in GLBT spaces is ridiculous, and really upsetting in a community that tries its best to believe it is 'liberal' and 'non-racist.' :roll: But of course it is.

For me, hanging out with many other folks of colour has been essential, but of course, it is not at all lovely and rosy within that community either. Firstly, it is tiny tiny tiny (so, you know, lots of internal stuff and stepping on folks' toes) and also - well, we are all multiply positioned in that community - so, classism, cross racial fucked-upedness, ableism, transphobia and other oppressions abound.

But yah...so what else can I say? I'm wondering how folks are experiencing communities in other spaces?
How about you? What have been your experiences?

I'm thinking of other topics that might get folks involved in a discussion....I'll post more.
"If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive" ~ Audre Lorde

Guest_Anonymous_*

• Guests
"GLBT spaces is ridiculous, and really upsetting in a community that tries its best to believe it is 'liberal' and 'non-racist.' But of course it is."

I totally agree with this statement, being a black woman, living in BK, I am constantly bombarded with liberal bullshit...white people in NY constantly stop me, to commend the great job that "the blacks" are doing...I guess to end this post...I have to say...one day it'll all make sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users