Telling my mom

25 replies to this topic

AmiDenise

• Members
  • 58 posts
So, I came out to my mom tonight... It went a lot better than I thought it would - and I feel so free at this point! I'd come out to virtually everyone else that I'm going to make a point of coming out to, and my mom was the last person on my list.

I'm going to San Fran for a convention that just happens to be during San Francisco Pride week. She said that San Fran is the gay capital of the world and said that she hoped I wouldn't come back with a woman that I called 'honey'. Seemed like a gift to me - the perfect opening for me to say, 'What would be wrong with that?'. She said that there nothing wrong with it - she has several friends that are gay; I countered with, 'well you have a daughter that's gay too.'

That's where the conversation veered down the path of her telling me that I needed to get on my knees and do some serious praying. I ended the conversation - but at least she ended the conversation with an 'I love you'.

So, like I said, it went better than I expected. (She can be just a little bit psycho sometimes, and I was sure that this was going to be a trigger.)

So, good luck to those who haven't come out yet and I'm ecstatic to be out out out!!!
One should no more deplore homosexuality than left-handedness. ~Towards a Quaker View of Sex, 1964

(As a left-handed lesbian, I'm particularly fond of this quote.)

agamid

• Members
  • 20 posts
I've come out to everyone who has asked and to several bars across the world when I was being hit on by sleazy men, but I haven't to my mum.
My Mum and I are really tight and she taught me to resect people regardless of their race, socio-economic background, beliefs or sexual orientation (hell, I didn’t even realise that two people of the same gender in a relationship was considered ‘different’ until I started school when I was 11!), so I’ve never really seen a need to come out to her as I don’t think it would matter.
I walk about the place in gay-pride shirts and bring home copies of ‘Pride’ and ‘LOTL’ (the local homosexual magazines) and as my finishing English essay in year 12 I wrote a 6.6 thousand-word thesis on Homophobia and Homosexuality through the ages, so I think she has an idea.
But as I said, it was never considered as something ‘different’ in my house, so I don’t see why I should have to come out if my three brothers aren’t going to sit down and tell her that they’re straight.
Not quite cold in the ground, not quite warm in my bed. - Nightwish

AmiDenise

• Members
  • 58 posts
That's awesome!

I think it's wonderful that your home environment is so supportive - and I think you're absolutely on target that if your brothers don't have to come out as straight, you shouldn't have to come out either.

So, kudos to your mom and your family!

Have a terrific day!!
One should no more deplore homosexuality than left-handedness. ~Towards a Quaker View of Sex, 1964

(As a left-handed lesbian, I'm particularly fond of this quote.)

tishaaa

• Members
  • 2 posts
When I came out to my mom she just said, "your to young to know" It really irritated me and now she acts like it never happened. Shes always hinting about how i should get with this boy or that boy. Shes in denial. She would always walk in on me and my ex cuddling and being all touchy. Then she would just start talking about a boy I had a thing with. So its like whatever its none of her buisness anyway.
<3

sam302

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 3 posts
She knows but I don't discuss it.

Cilla

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 7 posts
I came out recently, and my family and friends accepted me. And I started to get to
know another girl that I knew was a lesbian, too. After a month I started feeling like
I was in love with her, and I told her, or maybe just hinted to it, and she told me that
she just wanted to be friends. But, I'm cool with it, I can understand, I don't feel as
much white noise in my head over rejection, in fact, it showed how much that I
could love. And it makes me grateful and hopeful, that I'm on the right page now,
and one day I'm going to find her, whoever she may be, and I could finally be
free in my love.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users