Lesbian Literature Anyone?

26 replies to this topic

Guest_Anonymous_*

• Guests
Ok...here's the question...what is the most important piece of work that you have read that has changed your life and the way that you view yourself as a lesbian. One of my favorite books was umm...Zami and Ain't I A Woman...by bell hooks...drop a line

uncategorizeable

• Members
  • 3 posts
Hmm, good question, I would say:

Anything by Gloria Anzaldua ("This Bridge Called My Back," "Making Face, Making Soul")

"Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center" by bell hooks.

"Cereus Bloom at Night" by Shani Mootoo.

They are many more!
"To define is to limit."-
Picture of Dorian Gray

"The only Bush I trust is my own."

Guest_Anonymous_*

• Guests
Thats fresh...I never heard of her before. I know about bell hooks but I was looking for some more up to date work by active lesbians...thats cool tho...

mspider50

• Members
  • 11 posts

Ok...here's the question...what is the most important piece of work that you have read that has changed your life and the way that you view yourself as a lesbian. One of my favorite books was umm...Zami and Ain't I A Woman...by bell hooks...drop a line
I would have to say that gloria stienam was the one that has made me think about who I am and how I live my life. I have been out since I first heard the word feminine.I was never afraid to be who I am and today I am a proud lesbian.
Don't wrap it up,I'll eat it here :-)

ladyk

• Members
  • 14 posts
mmm, i love books.....

stone butch blues (leslie feinberg)
trash (dorothy allison)
in her i am (chrystos)
anything by cherrie moraga or gloria anzaldua
the persistent desire (joan nestle)
things by barbara smith

the list could on and on and on.....

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Well the most interesting books I've read so far are

"Other Girls" by Diane Ayres
"Your Name Written On Water"
"Never Say Never" by Linda Hill
"In Love and Trouble" by Alice Walker
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

bluelegume

• Members
  • 3 posts
I also liked "Trash", but it sure was heavy, and "Bastard out of Carolina" damn near put me in therapy. If you want to just howl with laughter (and read an insightful comment on the lesbian experience at the same time), read Florence King's "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady."[/u]

BauboBBW

• Members
  • 39 posts
here's my choices:

stone butch blues - leslie feinberg
zami - audre lorde
does your mama know - (edited by) lisa c. moore
the gilda stories - jewelle gomez (for the nosferatu present...LOL)

i'm still reading and will add to the list....

:mrgreen:

unfortunately, books that i want to read have been out of print, but i'm turnin' over rocks to find 'em, dang it!!!
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Don't compromise yourself, you're all you've got..." - Janis Joplin

blacklesbian

• Members
  • 32 posts
A great non-fiction book that helped me with my sanity when I was coming out was A Women Like That, edited by Joan Larkin. I was drawn to it because Elizabeth-Lorde Rollin's (Audre Lorde's daughter) offers her coming out story in this text. Not only is she a graduate of Harvard University, and a doctor she's also an advocate for women's health. There are also other great stories from various women...married, with children, ex-addicts, that can help any lesbian be proud of her identity. The book was a great read, that helped me with my sanity, when I thought I was falling apart...

1Rainbow_Playa

• Members
  • 7 posts
It's not really adult literature.....but it really helped me in high school

It's a collection of stories about being lesbian or gay or some just confused..."Am I Blue?"

It's a bit young, but a great book.
The Homosexual Agenda

Leave us alone!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Google