Lesbian Literature Anyone?

26 replies to this topic

asmariamoon

• Members
  • 2 posts
Personally, I haven't read many books about lesbians (but I'm making a list for my next paycheck :P ) but I have found one lesbian author, Julie Anne Peters, and I love her work so much, I have every one of her books. My favorites are Keeping You a Secret, Far From Xanadu, and Between Mom and Jo, but I also love Define "Normal" and Luna, and I can't wait until grl2grl: Short Fictions comes out in September. I suggest you read at least one of her books, her work is absolutely amazing and might even completely change the way you look at other people.

lesbrarian

• Members
  • 3 posts
These are great books. One of my favourites is a classic: Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. My absolute favourites, though, are Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. The best teen lesbian book I've read is Hello, Groin by Beth Goobie. Another great book is Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue.

MissNomer

• Members
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. My non-fiction lesbian explorations have been limited. Now I've got a monster shopping list to get to.

I'm also a huge Sarah Waters fan, lesbrarian. Jeanette Winterson is another lesbian writer I'm getting into.

I wouldn't call anything I've read life-changing, yet, though...just really satisfying and affirming.

sarah plain and? average

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 20 posts
Curious Wine by Katherine V Forrest (originally published in 1983) its thus far the only lesbian themed book ive read, unless you count reading (and trying to make sense of) Gertrude Stein. Some steinian scholars are coming up with new meanings for her use of the word "cow" in her "bedroom pieces", but in all seriousness i dont think Stein'sTender Buttons is about clitorises.
"...tell me what is it you plan to do with your one most wild and precious life?" ---Mary Oliver

DustyLover

• 6 posts
Rubyfruit Jungle, when it was first published by Daughters, Inc.
I read the Well of Loneliness, but it didn't encourage me LOL
The Amazon of Letters: The Life and Loves of Natalie Barney, by George Wickes
Women of the Left Bank, Shari Benstock
Songs of Bilitis, Pierre Louys
Anything by Sappho
What I read and re-read nowadays to keep me grounded in love, and in loving other women, is a Hazelden published book by Dr. Brenda Schaeffer: "Love's Way: The Union of Body, Ego, Soul & Spirit."

Elocinaire

• 8 posts
Strange Bedfellows by Q. Kelly. I haven't finished it yet though. Really good so far. :)

illuminatedlove

• 4 posts
Maria, I absolutely second that.
Keeping You a Secret is my absolute favorite lesbian book.
Far From Xanadu reminded me a bit of my first love,
definitely made me cry.

I'm going to have to check out some of these awesome suggestions!
"Because there's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it's swept away". -Sarah Kay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users