Where to meet cool people

8 replies to this topic

amethystjade

• Members
  • 3 posts
I'm 18 from Brooklyn, NY and I've been looking for awhile now just to find some nice, open-minded, similar people to myself. I've tried meeting people at my college but most of them just want help with assignments once they find out you know what you're doing in the class, or they're girls in sororities and want to talk about guys..and ask me questions about what kind of guys I like, want to get me to meet up with their guy friends, etc.

I'm out to some people...but not to people I just meet in person and I don't really consider a friend yet, especially ones I don't think would be very accepting.

Now..my question is... where do I meet people who live close to me and will be accepting? I'd rather not go to one of those GLBT things at the college if they had one, (which I researched and don't think they do anymore)...

So i've tried the internet and most of the people I talk to from personals websites like this one live outside of NY. And when I do talk to someone who lives close (which is rare) I end up not meeting them because: we have absolutely nothing in common, have one conversation and never feel like talking again since we don't have much in common, or we just drift apart because of these reasons.

I feel sort of like I'm stuck in the wrong location..but I can't exactly move yet. I'm not even searching for someone for a relationship..just looking for girls to hang out with..

Any suggestions?

Carrie

• Members
  • 43 posts
Hey amethystjade,

I think all of us on here sympathize with your situation! I wish more women in my location would sign up for Lesbotronic!!! I never get emails of new member profiles anymore. :(

It's hard to meet people in person because you don't just walk around introducing yourself as a bisexual or as a lesbian. "Hi my name is ____ and I like women." LOL And sexuality is a difficult thing to express nonverbally.

Online is a safe, anonymous place to meet women if you aren't out to everyone in your life yet. But there are plenty of people who misrepresent themselves, sometimes to the point of being men! lol

Lesbian bars can be a good place to meet women, but it has all the downsides of any bar contact: loud environment means its hard to converse and connect with someone, and the focus is on hookups.

That being said, may I ask why you would rather stay away from the GLBT meetings at your school? You could meet people in person (no misrepresentation) safe environment, and you would probably have something in common with them because they are all around your age. I know most of the GLBT affiliated groups them seem political in nature, but I guarantee you that some people are going 'cause they'd like to meet some cool people to date and hang out with.
"Where are you now? I'm trying to get by with never knowing at all. What is the chance of finding you out there? Or do I have to wait forever?"
~Michelle Branch

SBgalaxy

• Members
  • 9 posts
I PM'd you about some peeps I know in Brooklyn. Let me know if you want more details.

Sarah B.
~ queer poly hippie engineer ~

blacklesbian

• Members
  • 32 posts
Damn girl, where are you hanging out and what school do you go to? I know that almost EVERY school in NYC has an organization that reaches out to lesbians within the gay community...unless you are in high school. I live in the Bush, so maybe I can help you, don't worry it'll be okay.

hartsafire

• Members
  • 1 posts
I can relate to you...I am not out and have difficulty finding somewhere to hang out....and someone to hang with. It would be so much easier if everyone wore signs that said "hey Im bi or Hey Im gay" thanks for a great post...and at least I am not the only one. :wink:

theredfile

• Members
  • 3 posts
I found that the college scene is somewhat disappointing/confusing. You tend to have a lot of girls who are still questioning and/or enter the scene to be "cool" in hopes of attracting guys. I am not trying to criticize questioning females (it took me around four to five years for me to fully accept what I already knew about myself) but I do not support the hyperglorification of sexual "exploration", especially when heavily commercialized and encouraged. I am specifically targeting entertainment companies that plaster adverts for clubs with "bait" of "open" college females.
Also, the college scene has some girls who are more influenced by a college major (usu sociological subfields) that "explains" their bad relationships with men than by acceptance and commitment to oneself.
And again, I am not trying to be negatively critical. I recognize that young and old alike sometimes struggle to find identity and follow different paths to that end--however, these are just my observations of trying to find what I consider emotionally healthy and honest females in my generation.

BRENNIVINCHICK27

• Members
  • 24 posts
I FEEL ALL UR PAIN I LIVE IN MAINE AND IT AINT EASY
BESIDES FROM DOING WHAT SOMEONE ELSE HERE SAID I THINK
HI MY NAME IS SO AND SO AND I DIG CHICK'S U NEVER KNOW HOW SOME ONE WILL REACT AND I DONT THINK MY "GAYDAR" EVER WORKED SO IM IN THE SAME BOAT*SHRUG* HELP I CANT SWIM IF WE TIP OVER LOL JK :)
*If The Only Possible Way We Can Be Together Is In My Dreams..Then I'll Sleep Forever*

tabitha25

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone! I live in Indiana and it is so hard to find anyone in this area to get to know better. Does anyone know of any good places here that I can meet women that are more like me?
tabitha

designgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
I feel your pain. Living in Post Katrina New Orleans area (small town 40 miles north of the Big Easy) Has made things difficult here as well. Not to mention that i am new to the dating thing (or at least way out of practice- was in a 10 year relationship that ended 6 months ago) I am attracted to very femme women so it is difficult to tell if they would be open to being asked out. Add to that that I am somewhat shy about just walking up to someone i am interested in and trying to talk to them, and that i have a hard time recognizing/telling the difference between when someone is flirting with me or just being sociable that i am at a loss.
Love me for who I am, not who you want me to be

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users