Need help with a debate!

6 replies to this topic

Carrie

• Members
  • 43 posts
Hi everyone! :)
In one of my classes we have a debate and my group's topic is Gay Marriage. I need help on good websites that are both pro and con! (I know a great one for the pro side...www.indegayforum.com) It is hard finding stuff to support a side you don't agree with though :( so i def need help on the con. Anyone have any debates about this issue lately?
I thought this would be a great place to get help! :) LOL :lol:
"Where are you now? I'm trying to get by with never knowing at all. What is the chance of finding you out there? Or do I have to wait forever?"
~Michelle Branch

agamid

• Members
  • 20 posts
I've come out to everyone who has asked and to several bars across the world when I was being hit on by sleazy men, but I haven't to my mum.
My Mum and I are really tight and she taught me to resect people regardless of their race, socio-economic background, beliefs or sexual orientation (hell, I didn’t even realise that two people of the same gender in a relationship was considered ‘different’ until I started school when I was 11!), so I’ve never really seen a need to come out to her as I don’t think it would matter.
I walk about the place in gay-pride shirts and bring home copies of ‘Pride’ and ‘LOTL’ (the local homosexual magazines) and as my finishing English essay in year 12 I wrote a 6.6 thousand-word thesis on Homophobia and Homosexuality through the ages, so I think she has an idea.
But as I said, it was never considered as something ‘different’ in my house, so I don’t see why I should have to come out if my three brothers aren’t going to sit down and tell her that they’re straight.

I found this sight when i was doing as essay on Homophobia ... http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm
Not quite cold in the ground, not quite warm in my bed. - Nightwish

agamid

• Members
  • 20 posts
for some reason the text that i copied wasn't the text that appearded when i hit paste....
well here's what I really meant to say...
There was a REALLY good episode of Law and Order SVU on the other night that involved a lesbian couple and their daughter and a lot of custody battles and nasty shit. But the homophobic lawyer at one point said that homosexuals should be allowed to marry, but only men and women should be allowed to marry one another. “What??” my brother and I both cried.
It’s sick that people think that way, I mean I do know of several lesbian who have married gay men and raised a family together but it was just because they both wanted kids an thought it would be easier to have a wedding, have kids and then go off and do their own thing.

I found this site when i was writing an essay on homophobia ... http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm (it's a very good site that looks at all aspect of homosexuality from both sides of the board).
Not quite cold in the ground, not quite warm in my bed. - Nightwish

Chippa

• Members
  • 1 posts
This is a great place to find all sorts of information for the "pro" side: http://www.marriagee...usa/index.shtml

This site http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm also seems to discuss both sides of the issue.

I started to do a google search on the con side and it made me too disgusted to continue...but it's all there, believe me!

Imsapphic

• Members
  • 36 posts
Hello, I don't know about your school but my school library has a wonderful data base and there is a site called opposing view points, best place I've found to get both sides on many different subjects, hope it helps
Truth is within ourselves; it takes no rise from outward things, what'er you may believe. There is an inmost centre in us all, where truth abides in fullness.

calisunshine

• Members
  • 1 posts
well one thing you can look at is government. You can talk about how in massachusetts it is legal but in all other states it is not. Which is against the constitution. Because there is a constitutional clause that says all interstate commerce has to be recognized by other states. ( for example if a same sex marriage is married in california if they drive to nevada they are still married) However they do not do that for gay marriage? all you need is a good lawyer and take that shit to the supreme court..
- caroleann :)

redjade

• One Post Members
  • 2 posts
North Carolina has recently passed an amendment in the state constitution stating that a marriage is only for a man and a woman. I voted against it, and was ticked off that it passed. I was once married, and I'm thankful that I was able to obtain a divorce. Here is my 2 cents....Lesbians/Gays have the same rights to suffer in a marriage that a heterosexual couple has. I'm not saying that all marriages are bad, but I don't believe that marriage should be based on gender.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users