Racism within the GLBT community

19 replies to this topic

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
I saw this topic posted in another section and I thought it belonged here because this area seems more appropriate and it may get better responses (who knows). Anyway, has anyone ever been discriminated against in the GLBT community? Many people say that it is alive within the community, yet I think it's like the blind hating the blind. Ladies, what do you think?
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Okay, I had to pose this question/issue to the womyn of color because I want to know what you all think about this. A black male interjected himself into a conversation I was having with a friend re: her girlfriend and said "The amount of black lesbians is sickening, no wonder it's so hard to find a stright black woman." We let him have it verbally, but what I want to know is what is your perception of the number of womyn of color who are lesbians? Do you think the number is high, low, average? In my area alone I know the number is high, but that's just my area.
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

BauboBBW

• Members
  • 39 posts
well, lise....i've gotta say that, unfortunately, i've experienced racism from my fellow dykes.....

i mean in the black community, we still got the shade thang to deal with....i'm not even gonna go there with dykes of other ethnicities....

basically, i think that brutha was a bit jealous.....i remember hearing the "old folks" say, "don't let a bulldagger get near your woman....she'll be ruint.." LOL :lol:

men wanna believe that they're the only ones who are capable of having/practicing sexual freedom....when women explore their sexuality, it's a big problem.....
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Don't compromise yourself, you're all you've got..." - Janis Joplin

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
"shade thang"? I'm going to assume you're refering to colorism. Yeah, I can't believe that colorism is still going on. I first learned about it from my constant repeat of Spike Lee's School Daze, but I do know what you're talking about. There are people out there who will not date darker skin womyn. I've been told that I'm what you consider passing (you can see my blue/green veins with no problem) when it comes to issues of colorism, but I don't discriminate based on complexion because if a woman is attractive she's attractive. Period.

ladyk

• Members
  • 14 posts
racism can look so many different ways. it can be blatant or it can be subtle. i find the racism that i've witnessed and experienced to mostly be subtle -- like tokenizing people of color by getting one gay black men to diversify a board of some organization and then thinking that his one perspective is everyobody's perspective or people who plan events for the GLBT community not making an effort to include people of color on their boards, planning committees or even in their audience much. or founding organizations that could benefit so many but only make them accessible to (through culture, class, language barriers) a select few.

and everyone's affected by this. i belonged to an org for trans folks (i am not trans) and in the beginning it was great -- their were transmen, transwomen, latinos, blacks, asians and whites. young folk, older folk. they had spanish-language interpreters. and i believe this was because a puerto rican lesbian was the one who helped to found it -- she was mindful of these things. but since then it has increasingly become more white and more for transwomen than for transmen. and the thing is: they don't care, because it serves their (majority in the org) population just fine. they don't care that the spanish-speaking transwoman prostitute doesn't feel welcome anymore.

i see racism in this community all the time. racism isn't just about what people do, but what people don't do. who isn't included in the conversation, in the decision-making, in the planning. and i won't even get into the ridiculous things i've heard white people say when they think people of color aren't around (cuz i can pass for white). so, yeah, it's definitely alive.

i'll agree that there is a lot of internalized racism in the community -- colorism being a part of that. and being a part of the latino community, i can also say there's a lot of discrimination amongst latinos of different nationalities -- we don't all get along. *smile* but, i think i've said enough for now. i should get back to work.

BauboBBW

• Members
  • 39 posts
:mrgreen:

lise441 - i feel ya!!! i can see my blue veins too....er, sometimes, that is.....LOL....that is, when they ain't hiding...with my anemic ass.... *snork*

lady k - anyone ever tell u that u look like joan osborne (the singer)?? just don't dye your hair dark blond....i'll be after ya!!! LOL

u know, i can't stand orgs that "vote" one person of color/gender and attempt to have them speak for everyone of that particular ethnicity or gender....there are many, many points of view to be taken into account....

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Welcome to the iron deficiancy anemia club :!: When I was growing up my black family could not stand me. They were dark like Shug Avery and I was light. They used to call me names, put me down, and my own grandmother used to call me an albino coon. But on the other hand I had family members telling me to stay out of the sun because if I got dark I would get no where in life and no one wanted a dark woman. Talk about confusion :(

Ladyk, I think it's wrong when people use one person to define a group of people. This is one of the reasons why I won't join our citys GLBT community center (William Way) theres no diversity there in terms of members or leadership roles and I'm the type of person who likes to be in diverse situations, but for some damn reason that is hard to find in this city and I don't understand why because this is a major city. Oh well :roll: I think we all must work hard to promote and encourage diversity among ourselves because no one else is going to stand up and do it.

BauboBBW

• Members
  • 39 posts
philly has an U-G-L-Y racial past....i currently live near one of the (formerly) racial hotbeds in the city....grays ferry avenue.

grams used to tell me there was a time where if you were black (or anything other than irish-catholic), you couldn't live on or "cross" grays ferry. now, it's an up & coming spot for the hipsters!!

i'm with ya about WW...i've applied for positions there, but you're only selected if you're male and white....and yet, they bellyache about "the community" not utilizing the center....ya gotta give to get, i say

i recently helped out with the NOLOSE fat girl flea market/queer bodies conference, this past may...it went well...however, i could tell that the men were none too pleased that les/bi/queer/trans womyn...and mostly fat womyn to boot, were in the house!!

.... also, the center has gotten a black eye as of late, due to their lack of womyn's programming....i know someone on the committee...and she was pissed!!!

and, no....i am not the eyes, ears, nose & throat of gay philly...LOL :mrgreen:

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
I went the WW center once, took a tour, asked them about diversity and programs specific to women and the guy looked at me like I asked him for a million dollars. I see why people aren't utilizing the center, if you're not white then there really are no thrills at the center. I was thinking of applying for a position there but the place is dead and I doubt they would like what i wanted to bring to the center i.e. programs and groups for young women of color, diversity social events, etc etc. For now my focus is on domestic violence. I have a new project idea in mind for the city and I'll be happy to run some of the details by you if you're interested. Maybe we shoudl start a social group for lesbian women and hopefully bring about some diversity and change within this seemingly dead city.

ladyk

• Members
  • 14 posts

:mrgreen:
lady k - anyone ever tell u that u look like joan osborne (the singer)?? just don't dye your hair dark blond....i'll be after ya!!! LOL
*laughing* um, no, no one has ever told me that. in person, most people tell me i look like gloria estefan, but i don't see the resemblence.

you need not worry about me dying my hair any shade of blond...i like my hair natural.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users