Homosexuality in America

5 replies to this topic

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Is it me, or does it seem like coming out and being Gay/Lesbian has become mainstream? Like being Gay/Lesbian is the New Straight. I'm glad more people are coming out and making it known, but I think the media has commercialized homosexuality as they have heterosexuality. Does anyone else have any other thoughts on this :roll:
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

monteen

• Members
  • 31 posts
I've had mixed reactions coming out. When I came out to my friends, it was pretty much like they already knew I was bi before I had even figured it out. My younger cousin is the I-kiss-girls-so-pay-attention-to-me type bi, so it didn't shock my grandmother or aunt. Now, my mom is another story. She didn't freak out or anything, but she made i abundantly clear over the Christmas holiday that I will marry a man and I will have children. Yet, I have this sneaking suspicion that all of them, friends and family, think this is just sex or just a phase I'm going through. :?

Mortalum

• Members
  • 20 posts
I know of girls in high school that did the attention getting "I kiss girls" thing. I think they think it will draw more attention from boys. Sad really. Same with being bi-sexual, which I think is giving bi-sexuals a bad rep. I really just see this in the younger community though, not so much in college.

monteen, I'm so glad to hear that someone else's friends knew they were bi (gay in my situation) before they knew. All my friends said "yeah I know". My mom outed me, I didn't do it by choice. She confronted me about it and it was just bad. Anyway, she said that she had always wondered if I was gay. I think she think's its just a phase. She still has that hope that someday I'll marry someone like my dad and have kids. I plan on marrying and having kids, but its just not the same. Off topic I know but I had to get that out.
May women rule the world. - Kurt Cobain

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Mortalum, I know what you mean. My cousin told me that about 70% of the girls at her HS claim to be bisexual, but only a few really are. It's hard for me to know what to think or say about this as I just have a general annoyance at how being gay/lesbian has become some mainatream media frenzy. People have been gay/lesbian for decades, they've gone through horrific struggles just to get us where were are now, but I don't think this is what they were fighting for :roll:
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

Armi1977

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 5 posts
I understand lise441....it's like there's a gay/lesbian ban wagon and everyone's jumping on board. We need a big flashing red sign, "No free rides, we've worked hard to get here" :).

vanillaninja

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 3 posts
I'll be damned if I eva come out..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users