Height

27 replies to this topic

Mortalum

• Members
  • 20 posts
I don't think I'm tall. I think of myself of average height. I'm a little over 5'8". But, it seems like every girl I go out with is shorter than me and ALWAYS comments on how tall I am. I'm beginning to think I'm the tallest lesbian in my town. Lol. Maybe my personality doesn't fit my height. I'm quiet and keep to myself in large groups. I could disappear in a room full of people 4' or shorter. I like being this tall, but I'm kind of tired of hearing about it. Does anyone else have a story about this from either end of the spectrum? How do you compare to your girlfriend or ex girlfriends?
May women rule the world. - Kurt Cobain

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Mortalum, I'm so sorry you feel that your height is an issue. I'm 5'7" and have the hardest time finding a tall woman (5'6"-5'9"), I was beginning to think they didn't exist. When I was in relationship my girlfriends would comment on how tall I was, and I never took it negatively, I just assumed that I was a rare find. I love my height, but sometimes I do wish I could find someone in my shoes :roll:
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

Mortalum

• Members
  • 20 posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't find other tall lesbians. I've never really thought about my height until recently. The girl I'm seeing said something about it the other day and I thought "I've heard that before". Now I remember that every girl I've been involved with has said something. Oh well, I usually joke about when they say something. I don't think it's that big of a deal. Come to think of it even at work stuff is said. I know I'm going to have to do something when I hear "Hey Margaret, you're tall...".

Yes, I realise I think too much :? :)

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
I have a cousin who's 5'10" and she's a model, but guess what? She gets shit in the modeling world because most designers want female models who are between 5'7" and 5'9" so she has had to deal with height criticism. It just goes to show that one inch does make a big difference.

I love my height :P I think it's one of the cool things about me! I just wish I could find more women who are tall like me.
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

blacklesbian

• Members
  • 32 posts
Gosh, you make all the short girls feel like shit. :oops:

kahloeyes

• Members
  • 43 posts
Enjoy your height, whether you are 5'10" or 4'0".

Young women in China, are undergoing horrific surgeries, to lengthen their 'legs' so that they can be "TALL" like Western Women, that is the fad now...

to be tall, in China is like a status thing, with the belief that one will have a better chance in getting a upward mobile job or a husband...(sort of like the foot binding days that Maoist China passed laws against).

These surgeries, literally the surgeons saw their lower (calf) leg bone in half, then with braces from the foot to thigh, are used to 'stretch' the leg...

the pain is unbearable, women often scream and its ongoing and excrutiating, and long term. A large percentage have dire problems with one leg being longer, severe pain when walking, etc...

and for What? To attain some mythical idea of Western beauty, etc? Also, Asian women get eyelid surgery, butt emplants are popular in South America, and the latest craze pushed by Misogynist Doctors/Surgeons is labia surgeries, thats right, a type of FGM because now our labias, etc., are being judged, too big, too this, too that...

well, my breast sag, from age, breastfeeding four children and by damn I say, let them sag, they have a beautiful history, have given love and nuturing and besides, too many of my friends who have had breast surgeries, can't feel a thing in their nipple area (I say forget That!).

whether my labia is big or small, well, don't know, but I know it has some pretty good sensations so I think its best left alone, lol,

have a few wrinkles, yea, like those ones between the eyebrows that Botox is supposed to cure, well, gee, for that kind of money, hmmm, France anyone, LOL? And besides, those wrinkles say alot...about my intelligence and hours and hours of reading, LOL. Think I'll keep them too...

and if my jaw sags one day, well, hmmm, many years of passionate kissing so a rose tattoo if I live to be 80 or 90 is in order there, to celebrate that area that has felt so much,

my height, well, its some days not been tall enough and they have these neat little things called bar stools, and those heels, do wonders, and some days just right and some days, too tall, like with a partner, but have to say, some of the best times I had was with a shorter partner. :)

I could go on, but my point is, I suppose when you get my age, you have to make a decision, you can either go one in life, comparing and wanting to be something you are not (and in this society the pressures are soo strong and yes, I've had them, those times of self doubt, etc),

or, you can look at yourself in the mirror, take a good look, and see that every mark, scar, stretchmark, your height, weight, etc., all of you...all of you has lived and loved and felt joy and sadness, and if you really look close enough, all of you has a story to tell...

so you are tall, well, I would say this: go get the most luxurious outfit that you would love to wear, strap on some heels (whether boots, shoes) or flats, and walk proud,

and the same if you are average or short...

and if you are tall and your lover is shorter than you, well, look at it this way, you can smell her hair, look down upon her face and gaze into her eyes, etc, etc...

or you can sit and while she is looking down at you, she can smell your hair, look down upon your face and gaze into your eyes, etc etc...

but the important thing (and this goes for men too),

is that you both can smile at each other and accept and love each other just the way you are...

and in that reflection of acceptance and love you too, can smile at yourself,

because when its all said and done, thats all that really matters anyhow. Outward appearance is not a guaranteed -- we all age (and no matter how many plastic surgeries one gets, eventually the body is going to age) and one day, we all look back on our life, and the things we will remember most on, will not be our looks, height, weight, etc.,

it will be the people we touched and who touched us, our loves, families, and our lives. And I wouldn't have said anything but when women are literally torturing themselves to be taller, it makes one question what lengths and what amount of self hate women must have...we are our own worst critics, maybe its time to end that cycle...not only for us, but for the women around the world who are bombarded with Western beauty via consumerism, etc...

only way the image of beauty is going to change is if We change it...(that supply and demand thing), there's nothing wrong with looking our best and being fit and taking care of ourselves,

but where do we draw the line between that, and aesthetic fascism?
"Both the oppressed classes, women and the immediate producers, must understand that their emancipation will come from themselves. Women will find allies in the better sort of men, But the one has nothing to hope from man as a whole" Eleanor Marx

kahloeyes

• Members
  • 43 posts
Ditto BlackLesbian,

you said it, thats exactly it...(and I don't think they are in any way trying to make short women feel bad)

but thats what images have done to ALL of us (whether we are conscious of it or not)...you really begin to notice it more too the older you get, seriously (because people treat you different, like you at times are almost invisible).

Its a form of aethestic fascism, and its becoming more serious...(just look at the pressures on young women/teens and even kids to look a certain way).

How soon we forget that in Nazi Germany women were put in these brothel type places, the blondest, blue eyed, well endowed women (young) and coerced to sleep with tall blue eyed, blond German men to create a perfect race (eugenics)?

and here in our culture women are having their bodies/faces snipped, cut, sliced, diced, filled, injections of toxins (and yes, Botox can kill you, its rare but it happens), sucked, pumped, filled with chemicals and/or devices, etc...

and I at one time was of the opinion that it was simply a matter of personal choice, etc...but after reading the articles on China and the labia surgeries, I'm not so sure about that anymore...

I think there's something more insidious about it all, who Benefits from this? I forgot what magazine it was, but one of the magazines put (in picture) all the media depicted/stated 'perfect parts' of celebrity women and made a body, and it looked hideous. There was the arms of Madonna, the butt of Jenny Lopez, face of Gweneth Paltrow, etc etc...

and it really did look like some frankenstein version of a perfect woman. and was in some ways similar looking to the Chuckie doll, LOL. In Japan, they leave (used to, not so sure anymore) one imperfection in the art, it was supposed to be more beautiful, or something (read it long ago)...but I always thought that made sense,

and besides, who defines what is perfect, beautiful? What is not beautiful about being short? I've seen some really beautiful little people, and I mean beautiful. (speaking of people no larger than 3ft) I've seen numerous women 4ft to 5ft that are absolutely gorgeous, and I've seen women that are 5'9 that are absolutely gorgeous, but it wasn't their height that made them beautiful...

I've also seen many beautiful women (have worked with them waiting tables, etc) and its funny, some of them, when you got to know them, weren't so beautiful any more, and the women that were considered to be plain or average, or even unattractive, the more you got to know them the more beautiful they were, and you one day look at them and think, wow, they really are pretty...

but you know, the most beautiful woman in the world, to me, was my Nana, yea, LOL, she had thinning hair (real thin) and it was long, black -- jet black with gray streaks, and she always put it in this bun, and wore wigs in public (it was popular then), and she was plump, and she had these moles all over her face...

I remember asking her what they were when I was like 6, and she always smelt of face powder and she wore that bright red lipstick, lol and she chewed snuff (yea, ROFL, she chewed snuff like it was candy, lol)

and other than the snuff thing, lol, she was always so feminine, always gave us kids rootbeer sodas in the summer and made the best lunches, and she loved Rock and Roll music (KISS was her fav band, LOL),

I now have two moles, I color them when I go out rather than hide them...because they are inherited from her, and I am so happy to have a part of her with me (yea I know, sounds corny but oh well-- she raised me btw, pretty much)...

I remember looking through her jewelry box as a young girl, she had all that vintage 40s stuff, ah,

well, you know in today's age she would have not been considered beautiful or chic, etc., but to me, she was beautiful and I wouldn't even begin to know how to paint such beauty, really. You know, come to think of it, if my kids/grandkids think of me the same way I think of my Nana, well, wow, WOW,

just love yourselves in the skin and body you are in. Thats all I am saying.
"Both the oppressed classes, women and the immediate producers, must understand that their emancipation will come from themselves. Women will find allies in the better sort of men, But the one has nothing to hope from man as a whole" Eleanor Marx

ladyk

• Members
  • 14 posts
damn. i'm 5' and like a 1/2 an inch. lol. my ass is crazy petite and i love my height even though i can't never see shit or reach shit.

and us little girls can get into some pretty good intimate places...so, i like that i got me some small hands to put in all the right places.

hey, black lesbian, i'm pervert too. lol.

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Thanks blacklesbian and ladyk for your funny replies...I've dated short women before and they were great women, I just wonder where all the tall lesbians are :roll: Do either of you know the average height of women in this country? I think it's something like 5'3" or something along those lines. If either of you have the correct data let me know.

Mortalum

• Members
  • 20 posts
I'm sorry blacklesbian, I never intended to make anyone feel bad. I was just making an observation.

kahloeyes, I agree with you about the beauty standards in America and that it's terrible what some women go through to look more like the "ideal" woman.

I have nothing against shorter women. I never look at height when I notice a woman. What really catches my attention is listening to them speak, usually in class. Thats what attracted me to my first girlfriend. She was so intelligent and I could tell her mind was always racing with interesting thoughts. I liked being the taller one in the relationship for physical reasons that kahloeyes mentioned. And for the reasons ladyk mentioned as well :wink: . I've never hated my height. I've had issues with weight but I'm over that as well. I'm at the point where I don't hate my body. Heck I have small breasts and I've admitted that I wish I had more, but now I love them. I even just got my nipples pierced tonight. I would have never done that if I hated my breasts. I think they're great the way they are. They're mine. If this is the way they were supposed to be then that's it. I would never have plastic surgery to change that. My first girlfriend took me to the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival last year and that totally opened my eyes to different types of beauty. I'll never forget it. I can only hope other women have an eye opening experience like the one I had.

Again, I never intended to make anyone feel bad. I'm sorry if I did.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users