Any Writers Out There???

29 replies to this topic

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
I write short fiction and right now I'm working on a story that has now become a novella. I'm not the happy-happy, joy-joy, kind of writer as all my stories do not have happy endings, yet all of them are not tragic. I have begun to write some erotica :oops: and want to publish a book of short stories someday. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there writes and if so what do you write. I have not found a network of people I feel comfortable enough with to share my work, but I attended a writers conference in Arizona about 2 years ago and got great feedback from one of the agents I met with. I'm attending the same conference in about 2 weeks out in Arizona (great time to bond with mom and get some more of my work looked at by pros). I just wanted to get some other writers opinions and general feelings about their work and possibly publishing issues/concerns :roll:
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

blacklesbian

• Members
  • 32 posts
There was point in my life that I use to write all types of shit, now that I'm older, I find that journaling is more important to me. Having a girlfriend and keeping a journal between the two of you fresh because you get to really understand what the other person is going through. Speaking of writing, I'm a dirty little bird and I wanted to get into writing lesbian erotica...So heres the deal, I'll get started on a story and I'll post it here, if anyone likes it i'll continue. I have a few idea's but you'll just have to wait and see. A better idea would be for you to drop a story (not super long tho) and I'll give you feedback...happy writing. good luck.

ladyk

• Members
  • 14 posts
i'm a poet and a writer....i also write erotica and have had a few of my pieces published. i was so scared to get my stuff published....lol. but now that it's out there, i feel better. it's challenging for me to write longer stories, however, because i seem to think in fragmented sentences....my poetry always seems to come out more easily and more clean.

good luck on your journeys!

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Ladyk, I know how you feel about writing longer stories because I feel the same way about writing novels. People have asked me for years why I didn't just stop writing these short stories and start writing novels. I don't have the patience to write long drawn out novels because novels require more detail and I hate to read tons of detail so I'm more comfortable writing short stories, besides in short stories theres just one conflict in novels there can be many. I also like to turn truth into fiction. I was always told that if you write the whole truth it will be unbelieveable. My theory is the truth doesn't always comes out the way you want it to, so by turning it into fiction it's what you want it to be, your ending. I dabble into poetry and have had a few of them published, but my passion is short fiction.
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

robinbird

• Members
  • 7 posts
a great big 'hellooo' to lise441 and everybody else here.

i'm new to the lesbotronic forum, and just wanted to send a joyous shout-out to all my fellow writers! i write a great deal, though my career is becoming more & more based in photography. i started with poetry, found my way to fiction -- and these days, i write a great deal of memoir. i like playing with the boundaries between fiction and non-fiction. my erotic photo site actually does have a writing section; mainly pieces of sex or body-related memoir by the girls who are also in the photos.

i'm a total bookworm, and devour everything from well-written young adult books to intense 600 page books of literature to psychology & medical texts. (i also work with special needs kids, so that explains the latter. i often dream of combining my passion for writing and therapy, and becoming a writing therapist...)

a few of my favorite authors are: jeanette winterson, elizabeth mccracken, aimee bender, jeffrey mcdaniel, marie howe, alice walker, augusten burroughs, sandra cisneros, and francesca lia block. i'm currently reading 'tipping the velvet', which is sort of a recent lesbian classic, and it's quite lovely. what about you all?
"I don't sleep, I dream."

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Thanks robinbird for the big hello :D I just wanted to let you ladies know that there is a writing contest offered by Writer's Digest and you can compete in about 10 ten different categories. If anyone is interested I urge you to check out www.writersdigest.com/contest for more information. I believe the submission deadline is June 1, 2005 so you have plenty of time to get your work proofed and ready for the contest. Good luck to all who decide to enter.

1Rainbow_Playa

• Members
  • 7 posts
I'm a writer...poetry mostly, but I have a short story or two under my belt...not that I ever finished one...LOL.... I hate writers block. I have a story I started in 10th grade...and I still haven't finished it!

Ah well....I'd love to see some of you chicas writing if you'd like to share here or in email.....
The Homosexual Agenda

Leave us alone!!!!!

EvilOne23

• Members
  • 2 posts
*raises hand sheepishly*

I'm a writer... I mostly write "weird fiction" (I really can't think of anything else to call it).

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Hey EvilOne23, what makes your fiction weird? I think at some point all writers think their work is weird because there have been times I have gone back and read stories I wrote when i was in middle school and high school and thought "who the hell would understand or believe this shit." :lol: . Think of it this way, what's weird to you may be relevant to someone else :)

laural

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hi, robinbird...I'm an Alice Walker fan, too.
Hi, all. I write poetry and non-fiction. Have any of you read Name All the Animals by Allison Smith? It's a memoir about coming of age, understanding one's sexuality, and overcoming grief....and it is so well written. I loved this book and recommended it to all of my reader friends.
Peace,
Laura

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users