Any Writers Out There???

29 replies to this topic

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Contest Notification:

If you go to www.writersdigest.com/contest the information and guidelines for the 2006 contest are available. I encourage all writers to enter their work. You never know, you may get published :wink:
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

Boudicca

• Members
  • 35 posts
I'm in a transitional phase at the moment - I've written, off and on, for several years, in a commercial vein but, since turning 40 last year, I've realized that I hate what I do for a "living" (I am a legal assistant, and have been since 1990) and that I'm much happier and more at peace with myself when I'm creating. So I've begun this year to start my own freelance commercial & creative writing business, with the ultimate goal being to support myself with my pen. I've written for many NC-regional publications and have started branching out in my magazine writing - I'm a Civil War columnist for the Greensboro "News & Record", I review books for several newspapers and write for "Teddy Bear & Friends" magazine (articles, and I'm the magazine's "Exclusively Steiff" columnist). :) On my own, I write some erotica but haven't been published yet. I used to write poetry but I'm much better at prose - all my poems sound too sappy, really, and I'm not a sappy person by nature. My problem now is that I want to write more fiction (perhaps a novel) but can't seem to get started. Writer's block is the pits. - Lara
My barn having burned to the ground, I can now see the moon .... Author Unknown

FeraeNaturae

• Members
  • 14 posts
mmm, I write occasionally and have gotten some great feedback. never had anything published other than a school type. I really enjoy reading and love some of my web buddy stories... there are so many great writers out there. i do an occasional erotica mostly just some inner thought prose/poem.

she was different
unbelievable
like me
slipping into those cool eyes
knowing one desire
becomes two
amazing
our rainbow
fades
into shades known only as blue
as i slip deeper into
you
[/img][/b]
The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds.
—Will Durant

bookchik

• Members
  • 1 posts
Well, hey, literary ladies. I'm a writer, too. I write reviews of books and lit mags for newpages.com. I don't get paid, per se, but they send me what they want me to review and I get to keep it :D . I'd spend whatever money they gave me on books, anyway! Also, I do short stories and brilliantly witty poems 8) . Here's one I wrote about sexuality. Let me know whatcha think:

An Attempt at Alliteration

Sometimes I slip into a softer skin
If I feel the feathers flatter me
Or I'm often the opposite
If the particulars plead with me to be

A chameleon I can copy
If a lizard I long to be
And a devil in a dress
Is perhaps a possibility

But my venture at verse
Alas, I must abort
As my attempt at alliteration
Seems to have stopped somewhat short

FeraeNaturae

• Members
  • 14 posts
mm, very lovely . Have to love all the creative smart family out there. ">^..^<"
The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds.
—Will Durant

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
HELP I HAVE WRITERS BLOCK :!: :!: :!:

The semester is over, I'm done stressing over papers, midterms, and finals so I thought now is a good time to finish my novella. WRONG :x I've got 82 pages and everytime I sit down to write I end up staring at my laptop or I go off on another tangent. I really want to finish this before the Fall semester creeps up on me, but I don't know if that's going to happen :(

Any tips on getting through writers block :?:
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

AmiDenise

• Members
  • 58 posts
Tangents for me are the quickest and shortest route to writer's block.

I've found that when i hit those points, it's best for me to step back and do some story-boarding. Define where I want to go and how I want to get there.

If you've got a blank wall, post-it notes are great for storyboarding. You can write down ideas and move them around to order the plot.

Good luck & hope that helps!!!

Ami
One should no more deplore homosexuality than left-handedness. ~Towards a Quaker View of Sex, 1964

(As a left-handed lesbian, I'm particularly fond of this quote.)

ayla

• Members
  • 8 posts
Hello, all,
I am very impressed with all of u literary, book loving women....besides being new to this site...I am English lit. and Creative Writing major.... I try to be consistent in my writing routine…write daily…about anything…and I find this daily exercise very helpful when it comes to me wanting to write abut something in particular… as some people say…practice makes perfect…well in my opinion…not perfect…but definitely better…here is a prose poem…that I have been working on recently…it is dedicated to the best woman I know...my mother….hope u all will enjoy it 8)
Awakening
I remember waking one morning in my mother’s arms, folded against silky skin like a swollen butterfly cocoon. Stretching my hands from her grasp, I brushed off the knights and their ladies, dreamy dragons, sand castles and fairies from my sleepy eyes and gazed at my mother’s face. She was looking at me lovingly and I could feel her arms bring me even closer to her breast, rocking gently, as she uttered a song, a parting prayer from the stars and the moon. As she sang in fairy tones, uranila Kosovka djevojka, uranila rano u nedelju…ona ide na Kosovo ravno, pa se sece po razboju mlada, po razboju cestitoga kneza, te prevrce po krvi junake…, a Serbian song of a Maiden who rose before the brilliant sun to seek a noble prince amongst the bleeding heroes of Kosovo, I saw her eyes, like two black pearls, nestled in the womb of a black-lipped mollusk, playing with the morning sun that had snuck its rays through a half open window. Her mighty gaze was breaking up the light just like the raindrop when light passes through it, creating a rainbow.

* Words in Italic are Serbo-Croatian, my native language
"it... used to be said there is no such thing as blindness, only blind people, when the experience of time has taught us nothing other than that there are no blind people, but only blindness..."
Jose Saramago _Blindness_

westy

• Guests
  • 10 posts
Greetings to all of you excellent writer/creative women. Ayla, I was left a little breathless by your piece. Wow! When you write that Serbo-Croatian is your native language, do you mean first language?

Have you read Adrienne Rcih's Transcendental Etude? Parts of it touch a young girls' connection to her mother.

ayla

• Members
  • 8 posts
Hi, westy,
thanks for a reply...i did read Adrian Rich's work...I actualy saw and heard her speak in person when she came to my schools campus in spring of '03...her work is absolutely amazing :!: 8)

P.S-Serbo-Croatian is my first language...I have been in the U.S seven years
"it... used to be said there is no such thing as blindness, only blind people, when the experience of time has taught us nothing other than that there are no blind people, but only blindness..."
Jose Saramago _Blindness_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users