Tsunami Relief Efforts

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the government have pledged $350 million dollars to aid in the tsunami relief? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the government have pledged $350 million dollars to aid in the tsunami relief?

1. Yes. I think we should help less fortunate countries. (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Yes. But I dont think they should have pledged that much money. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No. We have people here that the government has neglected to help. (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
I've been hearing a lot of positive but more negative comments regarding our governments pledge of $350 million dollars to aid in the relief. So I'm curious to know what your opinion is on this issue, whether it's good or bad.
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

captainjhimmie

• Members
  • 5 posts
well, i don't have so much of an opinion on that. i just wanted to let people know that the government isn't the only one helpin'.
my college, Hamline University, has had a lot of student effort put in to Tsunami relief. Most prominent in my mind, besides the general donation collection, was this past friday, when many students gave up meals to give that money to tsunami relief.
i just thought that was pretty cool. it was something everyone could do, even if they didn't have extra cash (common among college students, as all know :) )

-Becca

BRENNIVINCHICK27

• Members
  • 24 posts
I THINK BEFORE WE GO RUNNING OUR MOUTH TO OTHER COUNTRIES WE NEED TO HELP OUR PEOPLE FIRST CAUSE IF WE DONT TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN WHO WILL?
*If The Only Possible Way We Can Be Together Is In My Dreams..Then I'll Sleep Forever*

westy

• Guests
  • 10 posts
It has been a long time since the last post, but I'm new to this and want to add a comment. When we talk about helping "our" people, it depends on how we define "our." To me, everyone on the planet is part of my group. Otherwise, it could be too easy for me to draw other lines to avoid helping anybody at all. The people on the next block who need help wouldn't have to be an "our."

There are enough resources on the planet to help everyone. It's just that we don't use our resources wisely, and what we have is VERY unevenly distributed.

agamid

• Members
  • 20 posts
you mean the one in America not Indonesia, right?

I have no objection to the American government pledging large sums of money to aid (wish they'd do it more often) I was sickened by the fact that Africa, a country that owes SOO much money to the rest of the world and is one of the poorest, was giving money to America. Last time i checked America was one of THE richest countries in the world!
Doesn't that seem a little pear-shaped to you?
Not quite cold in the ground, not quite warm in my bed. - Nightwish

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users