how can i help a fuzzy one adjust?

3 replies to this topic

ashleigh

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 187 posts
i am having trouble with a pup (he's an adult, but a pup to me). he was originally a dump off and started hanging around a friend's house, but they couldn't keep him, so i say bring him over. we got him in the truck and the poor thing's heart was racing, i guess he was thinking 'here we go again'. we put a collar and leash on him to try and let him walk around and get to know the place and the other pups. he slipped the collar like it wasn't there. he will follow me, but won't let me get close enough to pet him. my friend said that he looked and acted like he was mistreated when he first started hanging around the place. any help would be appreciated. thanks

phoenix99

• Members
  • 65 posts
Hey, I'm no expert but I do love dogs and have one (at the moment) myself.

Your dog in his past could have been mistreated previously, or could just not be used to human contact. He could have been stray for a long time, or else his original owners may have just stuck him in the yard and not interacted with him. Either way, having such a fearful dog can be dangerous if he ever feels threatened enough to bite.

My advice is to just be gentle, take things slowly. Dogs don't normally take well to sensory overload. Let him get used to your house, and you first. That can take a few weeks, or even a couple months depending on everything that has happened to him before. Then, socialization will be important, letting him see that situations aren't going to hurt him (loud noises, traffic, people, other dogs). Have people over to your house, one or two at a time, to meet him, and don't force him into a situation, but let him sniff it out on his own. Having anything bad happen to him while he is getting comfy can make all your progress backtrack. So, go easy.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I've dealt with and read a lot about dogs. Go slow, and reassure him, he needs to build his confidence.

Oh yeah, about the collar and lease. Make sure his collar is tight. Not digging in so he can't breath, but small enough that there is no way he can get it over his head. Especially on walks. Around the house it can be looser but if he tends to slip it, make it tight outside the house.

Any other questions, hit me up, hope this helped :)
------------------------------------
But he that dares not grasp the thorn
Should never crave the rose.
- Anne Bronte, "The Narrow Way"

Orah

• Members
  • 14 posts
Good advise. You might also try showing the dog that you love him too much to be affraid of him. Treat a dog with gentle firmness. Talk to him....a lot. Stroke and pet him whenever he will let you. Use slow lingering strokes when you pet him, and try scratching him behind the ears. Most dogs seem to like that. Also, most cats and dogs are far sighted. So move slowly and let him scent you as you approach him. Above all, make the animal feel that you love and accept him, just the way he is.

Orah

• Members
  • 14 posts
Good advise. You might also try showing the dog that you love him too much to be affraid of him. Treat a dog with gentle firmness. Talk to him....a lot. Stroke and pet him whenever he will let you. Use slow lingering strokes when you pet him, and try scratching him behind the ears. Most dogs seem to like that. Also, most cats and dogs are far sighted. So move slowly and let him scent you as you approach him. Above all, make the animal feel that you love and accept him, just the way he is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users