Picking Your Child's Father

2 replies to this topic

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
My girlfriend and I are seriously interested in having a child, however we're debating over how we should choose the child's father and whom this person should be. I'd like to know who the father of my child is (i.e. picking my best male friend) but she wants the entire process to be done anonymously.

To the lesbians who have children or are considering having children, how would you pick the father of your child? Do you favor co-parenting? Sperm donors? What's your take on it.
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

frozenillusion

• Members
  • 14 posts
Aw Lise your post looked a little lonely there so I thought I'd ad my opinion...

As a lesbian who knows I want kids and have always wanted them (although I have never actually imagined myself married to a man, funnily enough!), I have to admit I have never really thought about this fact. :?

I think, personally, that I would prefer to do it anonymously - unless my partner knew a man who we would both want to be the father cause I don't know anyone... I just think that if there was ever a disagreement or whatever it might be a little messy with the father knowing the child is "his" or whatever. But, as I said, if there was someone who we both would feel we trust with the responsibility then I would concider co-parenting, I can kinda see the positive side with knowing what the father is like etc.

Although I would probably, if we had the funds, prefer to actually adopt a child. I just think that there are so many children in orphanages and foster care out there who deserve a loving family and if I was in a position to offer them that I'd be more than happy to.

I guess in the end that it would depends pretty much on the woman I end up with. I actually don't feel like I need to have my own kids (as in borne by me), but I do know that I definitely want to raise a few. But if my girlfriend wanted to have her own kids then I'd be very happy with that, of course. 8)
"Love feeleth no burden, thinketh nothing of labours, attempteth what is above its strength, pleadeth no excuse of impossibility; for it thinketh all things possible for itself and all things lawful." - Thomas A. Kempis

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
We're considering co-parenting and have ruled out going to a sperm bank. Like you I always knew I wanted a child but never imagined life with a man. Right now we're thinking of asking her male best friend whom she has known for 15 years to be the father. He's a cool guy and what I consider the male version of my girlfriend so it all works out. I never saw myself going to a sperm bank because I'd rather know the man rather than tell my child your father was donor #1579C...
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users