Told my mom

6 replies to this topic

sweetlela

• Members
  • 6 posts
well I told my mom today that I am a les .. she didnt take it very well :cry: She took it really hard , but I can understand .. She is a very christian woman and she has her beliefs about it .. But I know what I feel and want will never change and she will just have to deal with it and love me for who I am or walk away .. But I truly hope she dont do that , she has been my rock so many times , we were like best friends and now we will never have that closeness again .. I know it will only get harder , tougher times are ahead of me , atleast thats what my friend nikki said to me , she is also a les .. My sister knows and she still loves me and she will always be by myside .. she had told me that , all she wants is for me too be happy .. She has been great .. Its just sad that my mom cant do the same .. :cry:

Lela

AmiDenise

• Members
  • 58 posts
Kudos to you for telling her. My mom is fairly religious and didn't take it very well, but she's chilled now. Hopefully, your mom will accept and embrace your life choices.

Good luck!

Ami
One should no more deplore homosexuality than left-handedness. ~Towards a Quaker View of Sex, 1964

(As a left-handed lesbian, I'm particularly fond of this quote.)

phoenix99

• Members
  • 65 posts
Congratulations Lela, on telling your mom.

Things won't be easy, you're right. But, I think more often than not, parents come to accept these type of things. Maybe not always like it, or understand it, but a lot of times they realize "This person is my child, the same as always, and nothing will change that"

It may take a while, or even a really long while, but I hope that you and your mom will find that closeness that you once had.

Good luck!
------------------------------------
But he that dares not grasp the thorn
Should never crave the rose.
- Anne Bronte, "The Narrow Way"

lawgirl

• Members
  • 6 posts
I'm almost 21 but i have know since i was 18 that I was a lesbian, but I don't know how to tell people. My best friend and i were having a conversation and I started to tell her, but then she asked me if I was gay or something because of the way I was talking, and after seeing the look on her face I couldn't tell her. my parents are extremely homophobic and very consevative christian. I'm so scared and I still live at home and depend on their support, personally and financially. What should I do?

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Congrats to Lela for coming out :!:

lawgirl, I'd reserve the coming out festival for when you can cut ties to all of those who you are financially bound to for the moment. I don't believe anyone should have to be closeted, I think we all should be free to express who we are without consequence, but there are people in our lives who at the moment we depend on for the necessities, and since you already know that your parents are ultra conservative and homophobic it's best that you tell them after you have secured your own roof over your head and you don't need them financially. I've heard and seen too many horror stories than I care to remember. Just protect yourself until you're able to tell them without worrying if they're going to kick you out...
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

lawgirl

• Members
  • 6 posts
You make a great point. After hearing advice from you and others, I think I'm going to try to find a close friend to talk to and see how that goes. As for my parents, I know they can't handle it right now, and i'm not real sure that they'll ever really handle it well. Thanks for the support and the honest advice. I'm new to this and need all the help I can get. 8)

Lise441

• Members
  • 162 posts
Thanks. I know where you're coming from. There people in my life I couldn't tell and could not be myself around for years. My mom knew and was always very supportive but others never would be and so I kept my mouth shut and was closeted around them. I finally broke free (I met my girlfriend and moved to California from Philadelphia to be with her) and I'm able to be completely out all day, everyday, to whom ever I want without worrying if I'm going to be "cut off" I wish you and anyone in your situation the best of luck.
Sometimes you stand on the edge of a cliff and you jump. You jump because you're tired of being scared. Sometimes you jump just to feel the fall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users