Menopause

5 replies to this topic

Cydistic

• Members
  • 14 posts
OK... I'm new to the board, so if this topic has already been discussed to death, please point me to the thread and I'll gladly go and read it.

Went to see the show Menopause the Musical a while back and while a lot of it was really dead-on, it was very het-oriented. All the women were allegedly straight, had men of their own, etc., and put on a great production about that. What I'm wondering about is this...

There are a lot of us older dykes who are at least perimenopausal if not into full-blown hot flashes, memory lapses, night sweats, insomnia, etc. How do we support each other in/through that change of life? Whether you're there, almost there, or just thinking about the topic, what are your thoughts about dykes and about menopause?

Thanks.
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. - Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

Imsapphic

• Members
  • 36 posts
Hello to you again, we seem to have a lot in common. Even though I am just 34 I am experincing meno. Two years ago I had to have a hyso. because of rampant endo. I have not felt this good in a long time, it was absoulty the way to go for me. I waited a month before starting hormons to ensure no new endo growth and only stayed on them about 6 mo before I switched to New Phase extra strength and I swear by the stuff. Mind you it taked about a month to get into your system but no night sweats, hot flashes only if I get really stressed out or if I hurt myself you know, now the memorie thing I just have to try and be aware and make extra effort. The side effect are slowly disapating and I don't think I will have to take new phase for ever and I take calicum as well but over all I feel like a new woman and thank goodness my sex drive has not been decreased like I had heard it would if anything it has increased. Hope something in here incurges you feel free to ask me if you have any ?'s De.
Truth is within ourselves; it takes no rise from outward things, what'er you may believe. There is an inmost centre in us all, where truth abides in fullness.

Cydistic

• Members
  • 14 posts
Hello again...

I'm not looking for coping mechanisms. I have those in place. I'm sure most of us who are there do. ;-)

I'm more interested in how we, as a community, see and treat older women, and in this case I mean those of us who are in peri or full on menopause by virtue of our age. It seems that we've become so youth centered that women in their thirties are considered "older."

Where are the women in their late forties and beyond who are going through the change and how do we dialogue with them? Is menopause a real issue when it comes to meeting other women? How do we support each other through the change?

I hear a lot from younger women (e.g. those in their late teens and twenties) that they are into older women, and I wonder whether they think about stuff like this. I wonder whether any of us think about stuff like this beyond getting through it. Is it a non-issue, or simply one that we don't talk about? Is there even anything to talk about?

That's where I'm coming from with the topic.

Imsapphic

• Members
  • 36 posts
I see, and I would say for me because it was such a relief to not be sick the effects of menopause were a welcome trade off , its more a non issue than issue. I have been lucky in that I have older ladies around me that are wonderful with support if ever I should need but like you said this support is not from the "community". I think society as a whole is just starting to discuss menopause, my mom never talked to her mom about it. Maybe we have to start the support that we seek.
Truth is within ourselves; it takes no rise from outward things, what'er you may believe. There is an inmost centre in us all, where truth abides in fullness.

Cydistic

• Members
  • 14 posts
Do you think this is an area where we should be getting/providing community support? In part I wonder because it seems there are a lot of youth-centered support groups out there now, but I'm not seeing as much for older women.

I'm concerned that we will always have our own personal supports, but, as we grow older, we will fade away and nobody even miss us because by then, women in their mid-twenties will be "older."

Perhaps I'm too cynical. I hope so.

Imsapphic

• Members
  • 36 posts
I think you are right the "community" is so youth oriented, and we seem to age out when the community should be aging with us and I'm sure seeking our own support outside of the community maybe contributs to this but then we seek outside support because the community is so limited. I had the pleasure of going to NY for the 25th gay pride and the march of the older homosexuals holding sighs saying things like out since 1949 and couples with signs that stated they had been together for 20-30 years was so wonderful, aw inspiring and filled me with such hope but most of these pioneers are not involved in the community and its a shame. I have been meaning to join the local community center for years now but life gets so busy and ect. but it just hit me I have the chance to be one of those pioneers to a young dyke.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users