Location-Location-Location Relationships

3 replies to this topic

is12

• Members
  • 8 posts
G'Day, am newbie and very happy to see and meet all of you,"ET" home.
What is your take on meeting someone outside your own enviornment?
Does it have a minor or major impact on you?
Example:In my 40's went to SF,loved the people and the energy,however could not find a parking place so I left the area.
Being from the South, elbow room is a god given right . Driving back to my area i imagined after retirement i could always purchase apt./condo, give up my vehicle,and give up my birth envoirnment . Have you NOT wanted to meet someone because of where they live now that your " older and wiser"?
Is anyone traveling around going to see friends and lover(s) on a steady
basis?
thks for reading this, just wanted to flap my fingers

Ramona

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 40 posts

In my 40's went to SF,loved the people and the energy,however could not find a parking place so I left the area.

That's funny. Not that you left the area, but the way you phrased that, it sounds like you were driving around looking for a space the entire time you were there. Literally.

But in terms of your question, I think it would depend on the nature of the relationship - how "serious" a relationship you were seeking and whether or not either of you were willing to relocate. Some women want to relocate and/or are looking for a good excuse to leave where they are right now. Others just might not mind relocating if they had a good reason. Meanwhile, different women are attached to their geographic location emotionally and/or have family and/or an unusual job they don't feel they could leave. Different women, different situations.

Personally, and while I know many women do manage it, I wouldn't pursue a serious relationship with someone who lived farther than I could drive and back in a day unless one of us was willing to cheerfully relocate if the relationship eventually merited that. I don't think a more permanent situation involving a serious but geographically-long-distance relationship would be the road to happiness . . . more like the road to feeling lonely and frustrated. YMMV.

is12

• Members
  • 8 posts
thks, you are correct spent much time trying to park. For me, one can
make friends all over the world via web. As a business owner, networking is
a must, so why shouldn't we (lesbo tribe) do this ? Yesterday read a post by Ala gal, who is in college wildlife photo artist ,exactly what is needed for my
project. Of course love,passion,etc: is important but smart enough to know it finds us more often when we are not looking. I admire anyone who will get up and move to a new location for love or whatever, use to do it all the time in younger days. Know this, if you are going to look for relationships outside your area best have extra money. Have found out it is difficult to combine someone who has been around the block vs someone who hasn't. You could end up feeling like your on another planet.Hopefully others will drop in and put more spin on this subject. What if your not looking for
some long term relationship,what if you can go anywhere, doesn't that
open up a world of posibilities? Question is, would or should anyone risk meeting others who are outside their own local and envoirnment ? Me
wonders if you are not correct in staying close to home, :? but why ?
what keeps you close to your local? Can you not keep family and friends
in your heart no matter where you go ? Ok , i'll hush, can talk a lamp post
dark- thks for responding, am firm believer in "different strokes for different
folks"

Ramona

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 40 posts
Um . . . . WELL.

I think perhaps you misunderstood me on the long-distance thing. In that what I said was implicitly intended to suggest that I might consider ANY sort of relationship OTHER than a primary/spousal thing with whoever at whatever range. Meaning that, geography is a serious issue mostly (in my mind) for certain relationships, less for others.

Making friends and networking all over is a great thing. I applaud many contacts and diversity. I guess I somehow (?) thought you were talking about serious relationships. ???

Geography is a real issue, but not a crippling one. The real issues in any relationship(s) are desire and commitment.

For instance, I've maintained an emotional and email/phone connection to a few folks I've not seen in several years that now live across the continent from me. I still feel a real connection to those folks. On the other hand, I've met some folks locally, kinda sorta decided they were my friends, and then we seemed to mutually lose interest and connection, even though we lived really near one another, and seeing each other face-to-face would not have been at all difficult. That was kinda crappy. Yet on yet another hand, I now have new local friends with whom I DO keep in touch with locally. And that's really fabulous too.

Who are my "real" friends? I'd say the folks that bothered to keep in touch with me long-distance. But we all need local friends too, or we may not survive socially.

I'd say that wherever you can find friends and feel good about it . . . is a fine thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users