What do You Enjoy Reading?

10 replies to this topic

GypsyButterfly

• Members
  • 29 posts
I felt the title of this forum made it seem you had to either be an avid reader that is les or tend to read les lit. That's not the case for me(and probably doesn't apply to some others either), but, I couldn't find another place to put my preferences. So, I will start my own thread.

I enjoy reading mystery, suspense, true crime & thrillers the most. My favorite authors are: Agatha Christie, James Michener, Alice Adams, Dean Koontz, Anne Tyler, Stephen King, Mary Higgins Clark, John Grisham & Ann Rule. Have you read anything you'd recommend?

KenaiStar

• Members
  • 6 posts
I enjoy fantasy novels. I read mostly what I borrow from friends or what I'm talked into reading by said friends...

celeste

• Members
  • 20 posts
I'm a John Grisham fan as well. I really enjoyed the Innocent Man. Unfortunately college life has restricted me from reading much for pleasure. In fact in order to have time to read that book I used it for a class assignment.

isismilos

• Members
  • 7 posts
Although I usually do not read alot of SF, I am currently reading the accidental time machine by Joe Haldeman. If I can finish that, I also brought home Redemption by Lee Jackson.
Have you read these 2?
Any thoughts on the books or authors?

sibilantsibyl

• Members
  • 2 posts
Like Celeste, I also don't have much time for choosing my own reading during the semester. When I do have time, though, I try to catch up on books that have been short-listed for the Booker Prize in the past decade or so, as that's been fairly reliable. Or lesbian fiction, though the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive; this has been nice, as I've had a chance to read J.M. Redmann's books (excellent mysteries) and the Nancy Clue / Cherry Ames parodies by Mabel Maney (also great fun).

And I'm starting to become interested in graphic novels after reading Bechdel's Fun Home; I'm reading Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis at the moment, and highly recommend it (though I don't think it's queer, it's fantastic).

Any recommendations? :)
"I could peel you like a pear, and God himself would call it justice!"

sealynx

• Members
  • 1 posts
Currently I'm reading Phillip Pullman who wrote "The Golden Compass". I'm on the second book in that trilogy which is called "The Subtle knife." Though the movie of The Golden Compass is aimed at kids, the trilogy, which can be found among the "teen" books at your local store, deals with religions attempt to separate people from their emotions and sexuality and deny them a direct link to divine knowledge. Quite a big order for a children's book! Check it out if your imagination needs some food for thought.

Rural Technophile

• Members
  • 10 posts
I used to read Constantly... I'd average between a book a day and five books a week. I had insomnia for most of my life from about 5 years old till I was about 20 and probably read several libraries worth of books during that time. I love basically every kind of genre: sci fi, fantasy, mystery, non-fiction, historical fiction - but over the years I've gotten very picky about quality.

Now that I work 100+ hours a week getting my company off the ground, I almost never have time to read a whole book, but I did make some time last summer for a book called The Actress by Elizabeth Sims and I am very glad I did.

Elizabeth and her wife Marcia are two of my favorite people. We've been friends for a while and I was given the book by Elizabeth as a gift after I created the design for the bookmarks she distributed on her book tour (promoting the second book in the series: The Extra). I was very touched by the gift and made time to read it.

Elizabeth is a wonderful writer. The book is a mystery with a female protagonist and it is very gripping. I gobbled it up in two sittings. Once I've wrapped up my current project I'm going to find the time to read the second book in the series and then I have to figure out how to get her to let me read the third and fourth that aren't published yet :twisted:

Now, this series isn't lesbian in nature, but apparently Elizabeth has done a lot of writing which specifically involves lesbian characters and related story lines. While I have not yet found the time to read these, I have to assume they are of the same caliber as the book of hers that I have read.

Anyhow, this has been my little monologue about 1) the last book I read; 2) a new favorite author; 3) a touch of advertising for one member of a fantastic couple who have been an enormous support to me.

Thanks for reading - oh and if anyone's looking for a book recommendation in a specific genre, please let me know... my list of favorites is long and filled with gems!

iggy

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 56 posts
There has to be ladies out there who love to read. I love to read books. My favorite type of book to read is horror. I'm not referring to vampire blood sucking books either. If you like horror and are looking for a good read try Patient Zero - it's an awesome zombie novel. I can't remember the authors name but if you ask, I'll get my nook out and get the info. :shock:

sarah plain and? average

• 20 posts
its not considered horror, but the scariest book i ever read was 1984. I was in 4th grade and it gave me nightmares. I recently read it for the 6th time and it still scares me shitless! the last line..."he loved big brother."(chills) it scares me because it is so very possible, not like those actual "horror" books about vampires and zombies. (Sorry if youre one of those people who believes in their existence) I would classify it as a "psychological thriller", and i am so glad 1984 (which happens to be the year i was born) came and went and still no "big brother" patriarchy. All people need to read this. If we are aware of what could happen, and just how awful it could turn out, maybe people would put aside their differences and accept each other. Another one is Brave New World, and the short story Harrison Bergeron. two more very powerful, very frightening futuristic novels. And of course, Fahrenheit 451.
"...tell me what is it you plan to do with your one most wild and precious life?" ---Mary Oliver

RebelGrl

• 4 posts

View Postiggy, on 02 December 2010 - 09:26 AM, said:

There has to be ladies out there who love to read. I love to read books. My favorite type of book to read is horror. I'm not referring to vampire blood sucking books either. If you like horror and are looking for a good read try Patient Zero - it's an awesome zombie novel. I can't remember the authors name but if you ask, I'll get my nook out and get the info. :shock:

Thanks for the title, Im a huge zombie fan and always in search for a new book (or movie) about zombies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users