Depression

3 replies to this topic

Lillie1

• Members
  • 1 posts
I have been depressed 3 times in my life. I am 48. It runs in my family. I don't have any other mental problems however who would take a chance and get to know me. I have to take an antidepressant for the rest of my life. I am attractive and have a good personality. I just keep telling myself that I will never find someone because of my disability. Does anyone have a suggestion? :roll:

ashleigh

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 190 posts
Fear not, for thou art not alone. According to a set of stats from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration, one in four people have a diagnosable mental illness. It is a government stat, take it for what it is. There are plenty of folks who have something in their life that requires managing. Diabetes, depression, the urge to throttle idiotic coworkers, etc. Just because someone has a diagnosis does not mean that the diagnosis defines the person. It is only one aspect out of many that make up a person. Negative self talk is one of the biggest factors that contribute to feelings of alienation, further depression and a host of others. I, too, have depression and take steps to manage it so that it does not become the defining experience of my life. We love who we love, warts and all because we accept that we are human and therefore not perfect. Let's face it, how many of us look our best when something or someone wakes us up four hours early? I hope this helps.

Alana

• 4 posts
ashleigh, that's very nice to hear. I've had the depression for 8 years and I don't think I'll ever be able to live without taking anti-depressants and ansiolitics. I often wonder if I'll ever find someone who'll accept me and my condition, since some times not even I can stand myself. lol

ashleigh

• 190 posts
Depression is something that I have lived with for quite some time. Even encountered a therapist who believes my depression is a result of living with gender identity dysphoria. Though it sounds plausible, I do not completely buy into it. Personally, there are other contributing factors to it, but that is just me. It strikes me as both amusing and sad because I do not know if I fit into the category of drama or crazy. If so, then the feeling is that the dating pool is significantly smaller than hoped for. Terms like drama and crazy are fuzzy terms. Nobody ever defines them, but seems to think that everyone else is on the same page as they are in regards to meaning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users