Drama?

2 replies to this topic

ashleigh

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 187 posts
I see the word "drama" quite a bit and it leaves me scratching my head. People talk about how they don't want it in their lives, but no one ever defines just what it is. From a media standpoint, drama does not appear to be a bad thing. In fact, it seems to be fairly popular as a genre. The use of the word constanly brings to mind a quote I ran across. "Everyone knows what something means until there is a problem" (found on the www.nononsenseselfdefense.com website). So is there actually a standardized definition in use here or is it simply implied that we all "know" what is being talked about? Perhaps it is used like we substitute certain words for ones we don't want the little ones to hear. However, if one means concepts like addiction, cheating, causing some sort of conflict or anything, why don't we just come right out and say what it is we do not like rather than playing this guessing game?

lesbotronic

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 191 posts
Funny you should ask, because we've already gone off on QUITE a rant about this too, in our personals advice section!

http://www.lesbotron...rst-cliche.html

For us, "drama" seems more or less synonymous with "games." Many are quite emphatic that they don't want any more of either or both, yet few want to take responsibility for or even examine how "drama" arrived in their life in the first place. It's just something you should tell people you don't want. And then, whatever happens after that, I guess it's never your fault, not even a little bit. 'Cause you said upfront you didn't want any! Right? :roll:

Another discussion dovetailing with this in many respects, the "realness" discussion:

http://www.lesbotron...opic.php?t=2114

(edited to add link to advice section)

ashleigh

• Posting Members (3 or more)
  • 187 posts
I thank you for that insight and heads up about the thread. Truly, it does have a very similar ring in that people are using a single word to try and get out of expressing just what it is that they are trying to convey.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users