Transitioning While A Member Of Service/police Commander

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

janet12nycbutch

• One Post Members
  • 1 posts
I transitioned M2F in 1995, while employed by a City Police Department. I was commissioned as a Lieutenant and elevated to Division Commander of Traffic Services and Engineering since 1979. I could write a book about the harrassment, innuendos, homo and genderphobia. When I returned to work in 1995 after a 8 month leave; I was not promoted to Captain, my shift was changed to 2400-0800 hours and I was reassigned to a public housing precinct to patrol an area of 7 x 7 blocks alone.

To add insult to injury, I was charged with 45 disiplinary charges and the possible loss of my lifetime pension and medical benefits. THEY FOUND ME GUILTY OF ALL CHARGES! Then, I employed an attorney and fought this case all the way up to the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals, who ruled in my favor and dissmissed all actions against me without predjudice.

Needless to say, I had enough and after 25 yrs. of decorated service, I took their hint and retired at the age of 47. Now, I am 61 and regret having to leave service, so young. If I stayed and had the strength to consistantly fight the system, I would have retired on my terms at the mandatory 65 with a total of 35 years.

I am sorry for elaborating in some detail, but I just wanted to let other transsexuals know that alot more has to be considerd if you are still employed while transitioning. Thank You for taking the time to read this.......

Janet12nycbutch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users