LizzieLou

The Time Has Come

32 posts in this topic

I am probably one of the only lesbians here who will admit that I actually favor civil union over legal marriage. I'm not saying that others should not get married if they want to, but for me marriage in the sense of heterosexual marriage is nothing but a huge prom and the entitlement to share debt for the rest of your lives to me. Does anyone else feel the same or agree with some parts?

In the movie "Twilight" Edward is asked by Bella why marriage is so important to him, in her day it meant a girl her age was knocked up. He said, "In my day it was one of the most deepest ways to show the amount of love you have for another person." All the things you say marriage means are in a relationship, married or not. If everything is this is mine and that is your's, your just living together having sex.

Marriage equality is about waaay more than the right to marry who you choose. And please, I beg you never to use the term "gay marriage"- ever! Marriage does not have a sexuality & the term is used to incite trouble & a negative connotation.

Marriage is the pinacle for LGBT+ rights as they stand now. Marriage, as a civil partnership, gives more than the things that are talked about (tax-related, medical-related, etc).

The biggest outcome of marriage equality will be the fact that it "qualifies" us, gives us a certain "respectability"- which is on par with the rest of the hetero-citizens. This is not to say that our value must be tied to marriage- but more that is a major starting point to place us on equal footing with regards to marriage. It will eventually lead to us having full & equal status across the board.

Imho.

I think it's a beautiful thing that now gay people can marry. It's all about who you love and who you want to make a formal commitment to. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

All I can say is that I´ve actively dreamed of marrying since I was a kid and I'm not letting anyone tell me it can't be done... if they don't agree with it it's their business, they can miss my wedding if they want, I'm still having it at some point of my life. There are really gorgeous gay weddings featured on Offbeat Bride, so if they did it we can all do it too.

On 4/20/2007 at 6:10 PM, no longer active member said:

Oh Goddess that's hilarious!!! My parents are the most conservative, southern baptist, homophobic people I've ever met, and look at me!

My folks aren't Southern Baptist but close enough LMAO! They are completely lgbt+phobic and are even teaching my nine-year old sister to be the same way!!!  Ugh...anyway as a poly but woman I want to marry according to my needs. Gay marriage is legal throughout the country now but I'm still waiting on people to wake up and get poly marriage legal too. 

1 person likes this

Poly Bi  woman.... It seems my keyboard is being a little phobic today... Smh

Dear Old Forum Thread, 

Guess What? The time did come after all!