Guest Anonymous

Lesbian Literature Anyone?

27 posts in this topic

Ok...here's the question...what is the most important piece of work that you have read that has changed your life and the way that you view yourself as a lesbian. One of my favorite books was umm...Zami and Ain't I A Woman...by bell hooks...drop a line

Hmm, good question, I would say:

Anything by Gloria Anzaldua ("This Bridge Called My Back," "Making Face, Making Soul")

"Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center" by bell hooks.

"Cereus Bloom at Night" by Shani Mootoo.

They are many more!

Thats fresh...I never heard of her before. I know about bell hooks but I was looking for some more up to date work by active lesbians...thats cool tho...

Ok...here's the question...what is the most important piece of work that you have read that has changed your life and the way that you view yourself as a lesbian. One of my favorite books was umm...Zami and Ain't I A Woman...by bell hooks...drop a line

I would have to say that gloria stienam was the one that has made me think about who I am and how I live my life. I have been out since I first heard the word feminine.I was never afraid to be who I am and today I am a proud lesbian.

mmm, i love books.....

stone butch blues (leslie feinberg)

trash (dorothy allison)

in her i am (chrystos)

anything by cherrie moraga or gloria anzaldua

the persistent desire (joan nestle)

things by barbara smith

the list could on and on and on.....

Well the most interesting books I've read so far are

"Other Girls" by Diane Ayres

"Your Name Written On Water"

"Never Say Never" by Linda Hill

"In Love and Trouble" by Alice Walker

I also liked "Trash", but it sure was heavy, and "Bastard out of Carolina" damn near put me in therapy. If you want to just howl with laughter (and read an insightful comment on the lesbian experience at the same time), read Florence King's "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady."

here's my choices:

stone butch blues - leslie feinberg

zami - audre lorde

does your mama know - (edited by) lisa c. moore

the gilda stories - jewelle gomez (for the nosferatu present...LOL)

i'm still reading and will add to the list....

:mrgreen:

unfortunately, books that i want to read have been out of print, but i'm turnin' over rocks to find 'em, dang it!!!

A great non-fiction book that helped me with my sanity when I was coming out was A Women Like That, edited by Joan Larkin. I was drawn to it because Elizabeth-Lorde Rollin's (Audre Lorde's daughter) offers her coming out story in this text. Not only is she a graduate of Harvard University, and a doctor she's also an advocate for women's health. There are also other great stories from various women...married, with children, ex-addicts, that can help any lesbian be proud of her identity. The book was a great read, that helped me with my sanity, when I thought I was falling apart...

It's not really adult literature.....but it really helped me in high school

It's a collection of stories about being lesbian or gay or some just confused..."Am I Blue?"

It's a bit young, but a great book.

Oranges Are not the Only Fruit - also by jeanette winterson;Written on the Body -- very hot

Zami -

Coming to Power

The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas

Rubyfruit Jungle

and all the trashy Ann Bannon I could find beginning with Odd Girl Out and Beebo Brinker (wahoo!)

Thanks to all those who sent in their favorites... I just bought 'confessions of a failed southern lady' and 'oranges are not the only fruit

Anything that amazing Dorothy Allison writes shakes me to my core. For those who love her you should check out her book of short essays: "Skin: Talking About Sex, Class And Literature" which is funny, sassy and political but not heartbreaking as her novels are.

My all time non-fiction favorite: "Woman: An Intimate Geography" by Natalie Angier. It is a hilarious and fascinating overview of the physiology of the female body. It is basically science and biology but extremely well written, and I promise you its funny. The chapter on ovaries had me laughing out loud (in public!)... not to mention the chapter on the clitoris.

And for those that are pregnant or know someone who is: "Misconceptions" is a very insightful look into our societie's cultural norms about pregnancy and birthing.

Enjoy!

"Does Your Mama Know?" An anthology of Black Lesbian Coming Out Stories Edited by Lisa C. Moore

I just started readin this book, but so far it's good and I find it to be educational and inspirational. If you have the chance to check it out let me know what you think :wink:

:lol: If you're looking for a couple of quick Summer reads that are as true to the real deal, as they are Laugh-Out-Loud Hilarious................

I really enjoyed "The History Of Lesbian Hair", & "Dyke Drama - Your Guide To Getting Out Alive".

Mouse

"The Blue Place" and "Stay" by Nicola Griffith

"Bending the Landscape" -Fantasy & Horror (also by Nicola G.)

"Sister Outsider" Audre Lorde (I love her books!)

"Scum Manifesto" Valerie Solanas (I was going through a very feministic stage :P )

"By the Light of My Father's Smile" by Alice Walker

"Finding H.F." Julia Watts

"Girl Walking Backwards" by Bett Williams

"Never say Never" by Linda Hill

"Subsitute for Love" by Karin Kallmaker

These are just a few, but were really helpful in helping me come to terms of being gay. 8)

Definitely "Stone Butch Blues" by Les Feinberg

Though it was rather depressing. It was honest.

Oh yeah... I also would recommend anything by Michelle Tea. There's some stuff noted in the Books section on this site, but it's not up to date.

I have recently finished "Rose of No Man's Land" which was good fiction. However, my favorite has been "Chelsea Whistle". It's on my list of 'all-time-favorite' books. It's a lyrical piece, and gritty, and eventhough it ends IMO on an off-key note (kinda leaves ya hangin') it is worth reading.

Also excellent is "Rent Girl". More graphic (ha!) but very very good.

Again, at amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/s/002-4533895-9502405?ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=Michelle%20Tea

What an extensive assembly of recommendations! I am looking forward to taking my shopping list to Borders. The most memorable book for me was Pat Califia's Macho Sluts. This woman is such a psychological writer. Spare and concise, but just over the top when needed.

Personally, I haven't read many books about lesbians (but I'm making a list for my next paycheck :P ) but I have found one lesbian author, Julie Anne Peters, and I love her work so much, I have every one of her books. My favorites are Keeping You a Secret, Far From Xanadu, and Between Mom and Jo, but I also love Define "Normal" and Luna, and I can't wait until grl2grl: Short Fictions comes out in September. I suggest you read at least one of her books, her work is absolutely amazing and might even completely change the way you look at other people.

These are great books. One of my favourites is a classic: Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. My absolute favourites, though, are Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. The best teen lesbian book I've read is Hello, Groin by Beth Goobie. Another great book is Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. My non-fiction lesbian explorations have been limited. Now I've got a monster shopping list to get to.

I'm also a huge Sarah Waters fan, lesbrarian. Jeanette Winterson is another lesbian writer I'm getting into.

I wouldn't call anything I've read life-changing, yet, though...just really satisfying and affirming.

Curious Wine by Katherine V Forrest (originally published in 1983) its thus far the only lesbian themed book ive read, unless you count reading (and trying to make sense of) Gertrude Stein. Some steinian scholars are coming up with new meanings for her use of the word "cow" in her "bedroom pieces", but in all seriousness i dont think Stein'sTender Buttons is about clitorises.

Rubyfruit Jungle, when it was first published by Daughters, Inc.

I read the Well of Loneliness, but it didn't encourage me LOL

The Amazon of Letters: The Life and Loves of Natalie Barney, by George Wickes

Women of the Left Bank, Shari Benstock

Songs of Bilitis, Pierre Louys

Anything by Sappho

What I read and re-read nowadays to keep me grounded in love, and in loving other women, is a Hazelden published book by Dr. Brenda Schaeffer: "Love's Way: The Union of Body, Ego, Soul & Spirit."