no longer active member

Any Writers Out There???

26 posts in this topic

I write short fiction and right now I'm working on a story that has now become a novella. I'm not the happy-happy, joy-joy, kind of writer as all my stories do not have happy endings, yet all of them are not tragic. I have begun to write some erotica  and want to publish a book of short stories someday. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there writes and if so what do you write. I have not found a network of people I feel comfortable enough with to share my work, but I attended a writers conference in Arizona about 2 years ago and got great feedback from one of the agents I met with. I'm attending the same conference in about 2 weeks out in Arizona (great time to bond with mom and get some more of my work looked at by pros). I just wanted to get some other writers opinions and general feelings about their work and possibly publishing issues/concerns 

Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial

There was point in my life that I use to write all types of shit, now that I'm older, I find that journaling is more important to me. Having a girlfriend and keeping a journal between the two of you fresh because you get to really understand what the other person is going through. Speaking of writing, I'm a dirty little bird and I wanted to get into writing lesbian erotica...So heres the deal, I'll get started on a story and I'll post it here, if anyone likes it i'll continue. I have a few idea's but you'll just have to wait and see. A better idea would be for you to drop a story (not super long tho) and I'll give you feedback...happy writing. good luck.

i'm a poet and a writer....i also write erotica and have had a few of my pieces published. i was so scared to get my stuff published....lol. but now that it's out there, i feel better. it's challenging for me to write longer stories, however, because i seem to think in fragmented sentences....my poetry always seems to come out more easily and more clean.

good luck on your journeys!

Ladyk, I know how you feel about writing longer stories because I feel the same way about writing novels. People have asked me for years why I didn't just stop writing these short stories and start writing novels. I don't have the patience to write long drawn out novels because novels require more detail and I hate to read tons of detail so I'm more comfortable writing short stories, besides in short stories theres just one conflict in novels there can be many. I also like to turn truth into fiction. I was always told that if you write the whole truth it will be unbelieveable. My theory is the truth doesn't always comes out the way you want it to, so by turning it into fiction it's what you want it to be, your ending. I dabble into poetry and have had a few of them published, but my passion is short fiction.

a great big 'hellooo' to lise441 and everybody else here.

i'm new to the lesbotronic forum, and just wanted to send a joyous shout-out to all my fellow writers! i write a great deal, though my career is becoming more & more based in photography. i started with poetry, found my way to fiction -- and these days, i write a great deal of memoir. i like playing with the boundaries between fiction and non-fiction. my erotic photo site actually does have a writing section; mainly pieces of sex or body-related memoir by the girls who are also in the photos.

i'm a total bookworm, and devour everything from well-written young adult books to intense 600 page books of literature to psychology & medical texts. (i also work with special needs kids, so that explains the latter. i often dream of combining my passion for writing and therapy, and becoming a writing therapist...)

a few of my favorite authors are: jeanette winterson, elizabeth mccracken, aimee bender, jeffrey mcdaniel, marie howe, alice walker, augusten burroughs, sandra cisneros, and francesca lia block. i'm currently reading 'tipping the velvet', which is sort of a recent lesbian classic, and it's quite lovely. what about you all?

I'm a writer...poetry mostly, but I have a short story or two under my belt...not that I ever finished one...LOL.... I hate writers block. I have a story I started in 10th grade...and I still haven't finished it!

Ah well....I'd love to see some of you chicas writing if you'd like to share here or in email.....

*raises hand sheepishly*

I'm a writer... I mostly write "weird fiction" (I really can't think of anything else to call it).

Hey EvilOne23, what makes your fiction weird? I think at some point all writers think their work is weird because there have been times I have gone back and read stories I wrote when i was in middle school and high school and thought "who the hell would understand or believe this shit."  . Think of it this way, what's weird to you may be relevant to someone else 

Hi, robinbird...I'm an Alice Walker fan, too.

Hi, all. I write poetry and non-fiction. Have any of you read Name All the Animals by Allison Smith? It's a memoir about coming of age, understanding one's sexuality, and overcoming grief....and it is so well written. I loved this book and recommended it to all of my reader friends.

I'm in a transitional phase at the moment - I've written, off and on, for several years, in a commercial vein but, since turning 40 last year, I've realized that I hate what I do for a "living" (I am a legal assistant, and have been since 1990) and that I'm much happier and more at peace with myself when I'm creating. So I've begun this year to start my own freelance commercial & creative writing business, with the ultimate goal being to support myself with my pen. I've written for many NC-regional publications and have started branching out in my magazine writing - I'm a Civil War columnist for the Greensboro "News & Record", I review books for several newspapers and write for "Teddy Bear & Friends" magazine (articles, and I'm the magazine's "Exclusively Steiff" columnist).  On my own, I write some erotica but haven't been published yet. I used to write poetry but I'm much better at prose - all my poems sound too sappy, really, and I'm not a sappy person by nature. My problem now is that I want to write more fiction (perhaps a novel) but can't seem to get started. Writer's block is the pits. - Lara

Well, hey, literary ladies. I'm a writer, too. I write reviews of books and lit mags. I don't get paid, per se, but they send me what they want me to review and I get to keep it  . I'd spend whatever money they gave me on books, anyway! Also, I do short stories and brilliantly witty poems  . Here's one I wrote about sexuality. Let me know whatcha think:

An Attempt at Alliteration

Sometimes I slip into a softer skin

If I feel the feathers flatter me

Or I'm often the opposite

If the particulars plead with me to be

A chameleon I can copy

If a lizard I long to be

And a devil in a dress

Is perhaps a possibility

But my venture at verse

Alas, I must abort

As my attempt at alliteration

Seems to have stopped somewhat short

HELP I HAVE WRITERS BLOCK 

The semester is over, I'm done stressing over papers, midterms, and finals so I thought now is a good time to finish my novella. WRONG  I've got 82 pages and everytime I sit down to write I end up staring at my laptop or I go off on another tangent. I really want to finish this before the Fall semester creeps up on me, but I don't know if that's going to happen Any tips on getting through writers block 

Tangents for me are the quickest and shortest route to writer's block.

I've found that when i hit those points, it's best for me to step back and do some story-boarding. Define where I want to go and how I want to get there.

If you've got a blank wall, post-it notes are great for storyboarding. You can write down ideas and move them around to order the plot.

Good luck & hope that helps!!!

Ami

Hello, all,

I am very impressed with all of u literary, book loving women....besides being new to this site...I am English lit. and Creative Writing major.... I try to be consistent in my writing routine…write daily…about anything…and I find this daily exercise very helpful when it comes to me wanting to write abut something in particular… as some people say…practice makes perfect…well in my opinion…not perfect…but definitely better…here is a prose poem…that I have been working on recently…it is dedicated to the best woman I know...my mother….hope u all will enjoy it 

Awakening

I remember waking one morning in my mother’s arms, folded against silky skin like a swollen butterfly cocoon. Stretching my hands from her grasp, I brushed off the knights and their ladies, dreamy dragons, sand castles and fairies from my sleepy eyes and gazed at my mother’s face. She was looking at me lovingly and I could feel her arms bring me even closer to her breast, rocking gently, as she uttered a song, a parting prayer from the stars and the moon. As she sang in fairy tones, uranila Kosovka djevojka, uranila rano u nedelju…ona ide na Kosovo ravno, pa se sece po razboju mlada, po razboju cestitoga kneza, te prevrce po krvi junake…, a Serbian song of a Maiden who rose before the brilliant sun to seek a noble prince amongst the bleeding heroes of Kosovo, I saw her eyes, like two black pearls, nestled in the womb of a black-lipped mollusk, playing with the morning sun that had snuck its rays through a half open window. Her mighty gaze was breaking up the light just like the raindrop when light passes through it, creating a rainbow.

* Words in Italic are Serbo-Croatian, my native language

Greetings to all of you excellent writer/creative women. Ayla, I was left a little breathless by your piece. Wow! When you write that Serbo-Croatian is your native language, do you mean first language?

Have you read Adrienne Rcih's Transcendental Etude? Parts of it touch a young girls' connection to her mother.

Hi, westy,

thanks for a reply...i did read Adrian Rich's work...I actualy saw and heard her speak in person when she came to my schools campus in spring of '03...her work is absolutely amazing 

P.S-Serbo-Croatian is my first language...I have been in the U.S seven years

Hello,

My name is Chrissie. I am a poet, fiction writer, and freelance reporter. I love poetry.

Can't wait to read the posts here.

Chrissie

1 person likes this

Hiya, scribblers.

I've always written, really. Randomly, I found my first full story while cleaning out my parents' garage a few weeks ago. So cute. Mostly, now, I putter around with half-completed novels and the occasional short story, and blog random non-fiction prose.

I went through a bit of a purge recently, and deleted everything I had on my computer, and chucked everything I had in hardcopy, in an effort at blank slating it. I have moments of regret...lol, but overall, it's been helpful.

Since figuring out my sexuality and coming out fairly recently (last year), my writing has changed quite a bit. My current focus, at least. The "gay thing" has informed all of the projects I'm working on right now, and I'm really enjoying exploring it.

I write a lot. Actually, now that I'm between jobs, I'm not only hunting for a new position, I'm spending time completing some short stories. I've submitted a couple to some places, but haven't published. Mostly I write stories about people in emotional turmoil or at different junctures in their lives, kind of like a really sucky imitation of JD Salinger. You know, minus the talent.

i write too...though im still discovering my own style. i just broke from the "confessional" school of poetry which is not really poetry but more personal narrative. but i dont want to offend anyone with my ever changing opinions on what makes a poem Poetry. I am working on a book, more like a collection of essays about mainly being a "creator" of things...i will post some of my excerpts later.

I've always been a writer, whenever inspiration hits I have to start typing. I'm writing a main

story, some smaller stories, poems, songs, and whatever enters my brain, really. My

major is Fine Arts, because I see these stories in images and I usually write them, because

I have to learn how to draw. But, language itself is an art, and I am usually a writer that

doesn't like to read, but I realize that it is important. Romance, Sci-fi, Adventure, Fantasy,

Psychological Thrillers, a broad range of genres, I recently started writing a story about

LGBT vampires called Poison Heart, and I want to make these stories into animes.

I'm a writer as well.  Although my specialty is journalism. I write for my school's publications under Lifestyle/Features. Although, I do enjoy writing the occasional short story or fan fiction. I'm dreadful with poems, though. *shudder* I also write essays, speeches, and all that other crap, but mainly for school. 

I used to write a lot of short stories and fanfiction and have been thinking about writing a short story collection for Kindle users. All of my poems are strange and mostly comical. I do write for blogs and have penned some speeches and essays.

Add me to the list as well. I actually think everyone has a story or two to tell. It's unfortunate that not all of us tap into it, for free, cathartic counselling if nothing else. I mean if I can do it...

I write in a few different genres, but one thing I've been doing for several years is poetry for different occasions. I'm given a background and I tailor it to be read at whatever function is being held. Some are very fun to do, like retirement parties or older birthdays. Some not so much. I wrote one called, "A Message to My Daughter" for a funeral. It was read by a mother to her 14 year old who suddenly lost her father. Luckily, there are a lot more happy celebrations than sad.

It probably sounds lame, but it sure pays those proverbial bills!

2 people like this

I am self-published with a non-fiction book that I have sold as far as Europe. But... I have a film script that I wrote in college and worked on under the mentorship of the creative writing teachers. I have been waiting a few decades for a time to complete it into the stage of being film script ready for real film. My x partner and I were going to start doing film scripts together but we were in the midst of relationship issues for several years and then broke up. I am just waiting for a time I can work with film script writers/editors and move it into the professional stage and get it to a film director. I also have been waiting to have time to work on other film scripts as this was meant to be the first of a series.