no longer active member

Is there a ring thing?

Hello all,

couple of weeks ago, while taking the train, I was approached by a really beautiful woman....having talked about the weather and what schools we go too...train trivialities...I saw her looking at the ring that I was wearing on my right hand, on my middle finger...as she looked at it admiringly, she exclaimed, "Oh, so you have a girlfriend!"...unsure, why she said this, I replied "NO"...and she said,” But you are wearing the ring!"

Getting of the train, somewhat bewildered,  I could not help but think if there is such a thing as a "ring thing" (besides the conventional, married or unmarried standard)...for example does me wearing a ring on my right hand, middle finger signify (in the eyes of other gay women) that I am in a relationship...whereas...for example... wearing it on my left hand, middle finger...signify that I am single??? I hope that some of you will have an answer to this question???? 

Ciao

Join Amazon Third Party Video Subscriptions Free Trial

Hello Ladies,

I have heard of this and have actually taken part in it. My ex wife and I had matching saphire and diamond bands and instead of wearing them on our left hand, we always wore them on our right hand. I've always heard that since straight people wore their rings on their left hand that it only made sense for gays to wear their's on the right hand. So go figure, maybe it is a tradition.

1 person likes this

I've always worn my commitment ring on my left ring finger .. never heard of the right hand thing .... i ordered a lesbian pride ring ... it's a simple sterling silver band with a pink inlay .. i think it's acrylic paint or something .. with the female symbols on each side ...and i wear that on my right hand "ring finger" ... so who knows exactly what they mean <> 

Yes, back in the 80s I heard of lesbians wearing their wedding rings on their right ring finger, i.e. the thrid finger. I don't think that lasted, though, because it just didn't seem to catch on in the women's community. It was if it was a result of us "pretending" we were married, as that's all we could do in those days. Left hand rings real, right hand rings pretend

However, now since the marriage equality movement has gained such great momentum, with several states allowing the queer community the sanctity of marriage, the tradition of wearing wedding rings on the left hand has gained more and more popularity as more and more our weddings gain legal status.

Wearing rings on the left side to signify that one is married should be a sign that one is in wedded bliss no matter if a couple is straight or gay.

Marriage is marriage, straight or gay, left side rings signifying same.

3 people like this

Considering there is only one active member in this thread, it is entirely possible that providing a possible answer to this question is completely outdated, but whatever - here goes anyway.

At one point, wearing a wedding band or engagement ring on the right hand meant that you had promised yourself to someone but that you were not yet married. After the wedding the ring would be switched to the left hand to signify that the marriage had taken place.

1 person likes this

ring on your thumb was a way of saying you were gay, mostly single people do this. Because gay couples generally are a round or wear a ring on their right ring finger to symbolize they have a serious relationship or commitment to someone. As far as I know things may have changed. Without flirting I talked to a woman at a bar who wore one on her thumb and boy was I wrong/she didn't know what it meant, was angry at first then calmes down

In the past I have heard of wearing the 'commitment' ring on the right hand if gay - instead of the 'straight' left hand (but that was pre-marriage equality days). I've also heard that thumb rings are often a signifier of lesbiandomnessism. (Shhhh. I'm posting while drinking.) I would make the same presumption as GentuLadi about that woman at the bar. I have NOT heard about is "a black ring on the right middle finger is an unofficial symbol that one is asexual". I can pass that info along. Thanks board! 

1 person likes this

Oh :( I just find cool rings and wear them on whatever finger they fit on

1 person likes this