no longer active member

body hair

31 posts in this topic

Hey,

After hanging with some hippies I found that body hair on women doesn't gross me out, and that I personally was sick of shaving, so for the most part I don't anymore. It gives me a good little feminist thrill sometimes, but I am still a little self-conscious about it occasionally. If it was an issue to a girlfriend I would shave I guess, but I prefer not to. What do you think? Should women shave? Would you date a woman who doesn't?

1 person likes this

Personally, I HATE shaving. It's not really a feminist thing to me... I just don't want to do it. When I stopped a few years ago, I was a little self-conscious about it at first, until I thought about it and came to the conclusion that anyone who thinks a naturally-occurring bodily process is "gross" isn't my type anyway.

I prefer a girl to shave her legs and underarms, but I have a fetish for women who don't shave their pubic region 

I love the way it feels when I’ve just shaved and put on a good fitting pair of jeans or get between sheets with a nice tread count. Keeping my pubic hair shaved helps me to feel clean, especially when I’m menstrual.

1 person likes this

I can't stand the way my pubic hair feels, so I keep it trimmed really, really short. The only reason I don't shave it is because I dislike razor burn, heat rash, chafing, and bumps even more. 

When I was 14 I had a major crush on this older woman with hairy legs. She told me that if a man was shallow enough to dislike her because of body hair, she didn't want him anyway. She was my hero. Eventually I quit shaving my legs and then even my armpits. I've tried shaving to please women since, even my pubic region, but I don't feel that they appreciate it quite enough. So it's a waste of time. And money, considering the razors I don't have to buy.

1 person likes this

helsbels33: I know what you mean!  Though I do feel sexy when I've shaved my underarms, legs and pubic hair, lately I have slacked off with it because I'm not seeing anyone. I used to be very particular about my leg hair, shaving every other day! But now that I've relaxed about it, I've felt really freed. It sounds silly, but it's true.

Sometimes I will be sitting down and start to unconsciously rub my leg, and then realize I enjoy the fuzzy feel. *Giggles!* I also like not having razor burn so often.

I do still shave my underarms when I'm going to wear a sleeveless shirt, or it starts getting kinda long. I feel cleaner when I don't have underarm hair. Much the same, if I know I'm going to wear capri pants, I'll shave my legs (or wear fun tights). If I'm going to wear a swimsuit, I'll shave my pubic hair. Really, I think I'm worried about grossing someone out if I let it get too long and they see it. I shouldn't be, but I realize that I am conscious about it.

As for your question, I would date a woman who didn't shave (it would be silly to give up a good relationship for something so petty! ), but I do love smooth legs (and hair-free underarms), too, so I guess I'd like it if she shaved once in a while, too...

I completely agree with all of the women who think shaving is a waste of time and money. Society has unjustly stereo typed an attractive woman to be hair free. However i definitely have some cognitive dissonance going on in this subject. Just from experience, i am more turned on by smooth legs and pits. As for the pubic region, smooth or nicely groomed is much more appealing to the touch than a rain forest.

However, I'm not that into really feminine women, and it seems as though these are the women that have the grooming regimes as listed above. I wonder how many butch or androgynous women shave in comparison.

I kind of wish i could train myself to be attracted to the hair, but i feel as though society has ingrained in me that smooth is sexy.

I love being shaved everywhere! And I too like that smooooth feeling of the bed sheets on my legs. I always tell my friend that I would shave even if I was on a deserted island (provided I had razors!!). She tells me that is only because society/media has put it in my head. She might be right, but either way I love the look and feel of a shaved woman 

1 person likes this

I shave my whole body except my head...I love the feeling of smooth soft skin.

Well from here I really prefer myself to be as hairless as possible. And I do like that in a partner. I think it's just really aesthetically pleasing and it feels good. Plus mutual shaving is a kinda fun activity but...

I actually can go both ways about it. Because I don't think anyone should feel obligated to shave their bodies just to maintain a standard. It's time consuming too. There are times when even I let it go. Also... I dunno... but if the person owns her look, if she's confident and doing stuff mainly for herself because she wants it... that's extremely cool, hairy or not.

The quote about not thinking natural body processes are "gross" is right on.

Although, yeah it's shaving for me.

2 people like this

I've stopped shaving my legs and bikini line just this year. I really just got tired of spending all of that time removing hair just to look like society thinks I should! I love the way my hairy legs look; and, having shaved meticulously since age 12, it was such an eye-opening process to watch my appearance change. I'm wondering if anyone saw Lady Gaga's recent performance of "Born This Way" in which she showed off her new teal armpit hair and teal pubes. Yes, obviously she wasn't born with teal armpit hair, but I feel that her performance creatively illustrates the dilemmas women face when deciding how to treat their body hair. It's ludicrous that seeing women as they were born creates such a shock! I can clearly see the reasons behind both choices, I just wish that women would face less judgement when making their own decisions.

people consider me androgynous or a soft butch but i still shave, although im not hot on it i dont mind going a couple of weeks without like but in general i do, especially if im with someone like and its not done to please them its done cos i want to, but can respect both sides like some want to some dont but women shouldnt get judged on it, women were around before wax and razors and as wer all here today im assuming society had no problem with it then  if any of that made sense 

Personally…I shave every day out of habit and for comfort. I have dry skin and would itch otherwise. On my lady….I prefer natural. To me, unshaven is sexy as hell !!!

1 person likes this

What little body hair I have left I try to keep shaved as much as possible. My mother and I had a discussion about this on Saturday in speaking about the NoNo hair removal system.

I have to shave it makes me feel clean. I also like a women that is shaved I think it is whatever the person likes.

In the past, I have been known to let the hair on my legs grow out completely. I think I've gone almost 2 years at a time without shaving. It doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother the people around me. The hair on my legs gets thicker and darker than most men and I always seem to cave to peer pressure. I hate shaving, so this last time, I trimmed everything up with the trimmers using a 1 blade and was told that even that was much better, then let a friend wax my legs. The hair is growing in much finer and not as dark, but I think that it being lighter may have something to do with it being summer. Although the waxing was not comfortable, I think I prefer it to the razor burn I get when I shave. I like to wear shorts and even skirts, but get some awful looks from others.

I was born in the San Francisco Bay Area in the Summer of Love--1967. My mom told me to never shave. Of course, I did not listen. But in the late 80s, I saw this really hot softball player at an after game party. Her legs were hot. Since I was also an athlete, I thought to myself, "Damn. If it is that hot on her, it will be that hot on my legs." I have not shaved since that time. I have had several partners. I had a few who wanted me to shave but my legs are so much softer and retain more oil without shaving. I wear shorts often and I am in my forties and I am still not looking back.

I love the feeling of being smooth after shaving or waxing. I wish i didn't have to at all, but I love that feeling so its worth it, mostly, even though i have issues with razor burn/ ingrown hairs, and sensitive skin, i like being smooth. I think i prefer it in someone im dating, but you know, sometimes hair is ok. I once dated a man, that liked to play with my arm hairs, and you know, i kind of liked it. and so even if in the future I date someone male or female, whatever, and they choose to not shave /wax, i think it ultimatley wouldn't matter, and id probably grow to like it, just because I like them.

On October 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM, josiethecool said:

Well from here I really prefer myself to be as hairless as possible. And I do like that in a partner. I think it's just really aesthetically pleasing and it feels good. Plus mutual shaving is a kinda fun activity but...

I actually can go both ways about it. Because I don't think anyone should feel obligated to shave their bodies just to maintain a standard. It's time consuming too. There are times when even I let it go. Also... I dunno... but if the person owns her look, if she's confident and doing stuff mainly for herself because she wants it... that's extremely cool, hairy or not.

The quote about not thinking natural body processes are "gross" is right on.

Although, yeah it's shaving for me.

I started shaving my pubic hair 7 years ago for a woman, and although we are no longer together, I love the way that hairless feels.

I shave my armpits but nowhere else. I might even abandon that, I stopped shaving my legs for ideological reasons after reading Susan Brownmiller's seminal book Femininity (a recommended read) in my 30s. I don't wear shorts b/c I just don't wear shorts but have no problem wearing cropped pants. I'm fond of my goat legs. 

I was standing in line at the grocery store tonight and came out of spacing to find that my eyes had locked on the hairy shoulders of the man in front of me (it's hot now in Texas; so the tank-top thing is happening); and it reminded me of this topic. In a perfect world, everyone - male or female - would shave everything but their head and forearms. I get the argument that hair is natural. But so is gangrene, and technically everything in existence. I wouldn't look at a putrefying wound and think 'my, isn't nature beautiful'. "It's natural" isn't an argument that it's sexy. I'd make a terrible hippy.

1 person likes this

I tried not shaving but I missed my skin being soft and smooth. Waxing isn't that bad either. However not shaving or waxing would in theory save money, but then again there are lots of ways to save money- gotta budget your own vices and such. 

Not shaving for ideological reasons or just being au natural- props to you ladies. 

I am very much into the idea of live and let live. I truly believe that everybody should be allowed to live their lives in whatever manner makes them happy, so long as they are not infringing on another's happiness. Your shaving habits are none of my business and have nothing to do with who you are as a person. Do whatever feels good - I support you. This is the attitude I have with friends and potential friends alike however, when it comes to intimacy I'm not quite so altruistic. I don't like body hair - not on me and not on my lover. I'm with Dani28 on this one - shave everything but the head and forearms. Apparently I'm not cut out to be a hippy either.

Many years ago, I tried shaving my legs. I loved the smooth feeling, but when I went outside in the freezing weather, the goosebumps were soooo painful! So I haven't tried that again.

But for several years, I've been getting waxed regularly, and loving it. And it was one of the first concrete ways where I asserted my femininity prior to actually starting my gender transition. 

And now I've added regular electrolysis visits, both for my face and pubic areas. Ouch.