no longer active member

Catholicism, confession and communion

I grew up and went to Catholic school and have for the most part enjoyed and embraced my faith even in light of the fact that my own church would probably prefer that I not be there. I was wondering how other lesbian catholics deal with confession and communion in regards to this issue. Do you confess you homosexuality? Do you still go to communion even though by there standards I shouldnt be.

As for me I don't go to confession and I go to communion whenever I want. I pretty much take the part of the church I like and leave the rest. I enjoy being catholic so i just ignore the parts that I dont like. Works for me anyway.

1 person likes this

I am a very religious person. To answer your question I still receive communion, I am even a Eucharistic Minister. As for confession, before I realized I was a lesbian I had given up on confession so I can't really help you there. But, I believe that it doesn't matter to God.

Confession is for confessing sins. Being a lesbian is not a sin. I don't believe in confession anyway but I receive communion regularly unless I have actually sinned. I fast and pray the divine mercy novena instead of confession and when I feel I have atoned then I receive communion again.

Don't let others beliefs define you. Within yourself you know what is write and wrong.

Catholicism does tell you to rely on a fully informed conscience. That being said, There are Independent Catholic churches (not Roman!) that fully accept and support LGBTQIA people. I've even been to a marriage at one - so beautiful. :)

My friend also wrote a book for those who are Catholic and LGBT and struggling.

1 person likes this

I agree with you.  Its a long road to reconcile what you have been taught with the lesbian you are.  Its a struggle but faith and religion are two different concepts.  at the end of the day, you have to be good with who you are.  When you walk in this world confident and comfortable with who you are then you have attained freedom.

1 person likes this