Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SugarBugs

Coming Out To Best Friend

Over the past year I've slowly came out to most of my family (and a couple of LGBT friends)... The people that are closest to me, and that I know would care about me and not freak out over my sexuality... In this past year, I reconnected with an old High School friend, I've known her for ten years, and we were close and have became close again... I really love this girl like a sister (we even work together)... Problem is I came from a small town where homophobia liked to reign... I remember how horrible it was, when one of my friends was decloseted when we were in eleventh grade...

When we were just reconnecting, I didn't feel the need to share my sexuality with her, but now that we are back to being great friends I feel like I am hiding a part of me from her... The other day I was casually talking about my grandmother's boyfriend who happens to be bi-sexual, and when I mentioned that he was previously with a guy, she freaked out, made a disgusted face, and said 'that is just nasty'... I was taken aback by her reaction because I didn't expect it to be that big of a deal to her, but clearly it seems like it is...

She talks about her boyfriend all the time and I am happy for them (they have been together for 3 years next month), and even though I am single at the moment, when I get into a relationship, I want to share it with her and have her be happy for me... But I am worried that she will be disgusted with my choice and want nothing to do with me... She is really my only close friend, and I worry once she finds out about the true me, she will no longer what to be my friend... Is it worth the risk to tell her now, when I am still single or worry about crossing the bridge when I am in a relationship, or should I just suck it up, tell her, and wait for her reaction...

2 people like this

First off Congrats on coming out overall it's a huge achievement! Second if you say she is a good friend and you are close you should def tell her. Your sexual orientation is only one element of who you are but it does not define who you are.

To be honest if you get that same disgusted reaction from her after telling her your sexual orientation then frankly she isn't a good friend nor she was ever a good friend.

Friends, family luv you for the person you are not for what sex you prefer to luv. 

Hope it goes well and I did lose 2 friends over my experience after coming out but I realize they aren't the important people in my life. Friends come and go but the best ones last forever and they are basically family to me.

Good luck :)