Dani28

Any Other Lesbian Conservatives Out There?

gets a little lonely, so hit me with your book recommendations or just your personal favorites, links to essays on economics, political philosophy, or the like. pose questions, introduce discussions, or just give a wave.

hey Dani, nice to meet you i'm Jule

you know what, I'm reading a book of Mario Vargas Llosa (a peruvian novelist) right now, it is named "el paraiso en la otra esquina" which i think has been translated to "way to paradise". I really enjoy the way he writes, and the places he brings the reader too. Have you ever heard about that writer ?

Did you read One Hundred Years of Solitude ? from the columbian writer gabriel garcia marquez, it shows a pretty interesting view of the history/society/political decision of some south american countries

1 person likes this

try reading works by albert nock. some consider him an early libertarian and others consider him to be a conservative anarchist.

1 person likes this

thanks for the recommendations, Jule. One Hundred Years of Solitude is in my library, but I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Ashleigh, I'm not of the libertarian persuasion, politically (that term has a different meaning, philosophically, in the free will literature; and does describe my beliefs on free will..) but all are welcome. thanks for the contribution 

1 person likes this

sounds that albert nock interesting, what would you advise me to start with ?

by the way, do you know about any good free ebook website ? like american writer "have to read" books ?

ok that a good topic, what would be your "have to read" list ?? what's your favorite book ?

thought that last question was for Ashleigh; but as she didn't answer, to be safe, I will. I'm a fan of the classics, I guess - Hayek and Adam Smith (as an aside, while An Inquiry Into...The Wealth of Nations is a must read, it would be nice if people remembered the handy companion piece, The Theory of Moral Sentiments). I love Theodore Dalrymple's body of work; and I've gotten into Richard Pipes, as well. only loosely related, but a must read, is Victor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning. I've been meaning to read Charles Murray. I can't say that I have a favorite book (even regarding literature) - there are just too many good books.

I've been gone from the site for quite a while, so I'll repeat the question. Worth repeating.

Isn't a "lesbian conservative" a contradiction in terms? 

Dot2525 said:

Isn't a "lesbian conservative" a contradiction in terms? 

Nope. Why would it be?

2 people like this

I am a conservative as well, sometimes I seem to fall under what people would describe as Libertarian. I am definitely center leaning left.  I used to be liberal until 9/11 then I started listening and reading.

I don't read much conservative lit, but some of my favorite talkers are Hugh Hewitt and Michael Medved. I don't agree with Medved on everything, Hewitt always makes sound arguments. 

I'm interested to know, Dani28, what is your political philosophy? Where on the conservative spectrum do you fall? How do you think liberals and conservatives treat feminism differently? These are questions I am personally pondering for myself as we go into this interesting political time.

Wow, I'd forgotten about this topic :) Good to meet you. I'm a neoconservative/classical liberal Republican. I think the answer to your last question may differ from place to place (country to country). In the U.S., it seems that liberals calling themselves feminists have slipped into sexism, deliberate or not. The rare conservative that will self-identify as feminist - as well as the silent many that will not - seem to have maintained a focus of equality in opportunity and equal protection under the law. In that sense, I could be described as a feminist. I have no problem with men, individually or as a whole; I do want the same rights and opportunities as men. Tell me your thoughts, as it has been on your mind. And thank you for reviving this topic. Evidently, I had given up.

I guess, I'm the rare conservative that self-identifies as a feminist..Ja! And this is where I break from mainstream conservatism. I ask myself, what exactly makes me conservative? My answer is that I don't really have a problem with capitalism, I think it works quite well. Its not perfect, what system is? I also believe that government should be small as well as that states should have their autonomy on many issues- states rights. 

I am truly peeved by how people follow political ideologies, politician, any talking head with such fervor and dedication. I am completely against blindly following any system of social construction and I abhor emotional manipulation, of which, I believe the left employs most followed by the religious right. 

I guess, I have a difficult time categorizing myself, which is perfectly fine with me, I don't like categories (systems :) I usually just sit back and listen as well as watch as people get so excited over what I would liken to the aesthetics of political minutiae, such as Trumps tweets, Hilary's outfit, Perry's stupid behaviour, etc.. I could care less. 

You seem quite knowledgeable and articulate about the conservative or non-liberal philosophies..

1 person likes this

Right there with ya on capitalism. Less so on states rights (I can't get away from it originating as an argument for slavery). It's such a vague term that it too easily lends itself to misuse for the purpose of denying private citizens of rights guaranteed by the nation's Constitution. I'm a great lover of the 14th Amendment (written and enacted by Republicans to combat the Democrats' Jim Crow Laws and Black Codes after losing the war over slavery to the abolitionist Republican North under the first Republican president), and particularly Section II, which not only overturned institutionalized racial discrimination but most recently nullified Clinton's Defense Of Marriage Act, after a lawyer who had served in the Bush 43 administration made an appeal to that very section of that very amendment before the SCOTUS challenging California's Prop 8, which won on the same ticket as the Obama presidency. Big government liberalism has been historically horrendous for the gay community. I live in Perry's state and know the story of his over-night conversion to the Republican Party after he was told that he would never win a gubernatorial run in Texas as a Democrat; and I lived here under Perry's liberal governance under a Republican guise (that's a huge problem in the Texas Republican Party - it's full of Dixiecrats calling themselves Republicans - and it's really sad). It's also extremely disheartening to me that so many gay people fall for the clichéd lines echoed in every abusive relationship. "I made you. You owe me. You'd be nothing without me. You can't make it on your own. That guy doesn't care about you like I do. I'm the only one who will protect you. Really, I've changed. I'm going to do better, give me a thousand more chances. Now that I need something from you, I'm really sorry for [DOMA, Don't Ask, Don't Tell...]"

I respect your being an independent. I was Independent for many years, myself. I have become a Republican over time; and I would rather battle already marginalized religious liberalism within the GOP than be a willing chump for the Democrats.

1 person likes this