T09pool

Help! My home smells like a litterbox.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent the house from smelling like cat pee and poop? In fact, even keeping the room with the litter box from stinking up?Besides keeping up with scooping..

Get a litter box that is covered helps a lot, also experiment with different types of litter. We have a cat and keeping it covered helps a lot, and if to can put in a cupboard that the cat can access helps as well

1 person likes this

Ladyhawk said:

Get a litter box that is covered helps a lot, also experiment with different types of litter. We have a cat and keeping it covered helps a lot, and if to can put in a cupboard that the cat can access helps as well

Oh, right! A cupboard, that's a pretty neat idea. Thank you.

I decided to try mixing some pine pellets and cedar fluff today, since the regular those of litter of various brands wasn't cutting it. I started to think maybe my cat wasn't able to properly bury her...productions.. In those types of litter. We'll see.

1 person likes this

Hey, so far so good. I also cleaned the carpet with that powder you sprinkle on and vacuum. I hope you've been well!

I suggest trying a pine pellet litter such as feline pine/simply pine! :)

2 people like this

marianleigh said:

I suggest trying a pine pellet litter such as feline pine/simply pine! :)

Oh yay, that's one of the things I'm trying! The feline pine, with a bit of cedar fluff added.

Thank you!

I haven't tried the pine and cedar bits, but I did get one of those Hamilton Beach air filters. it has made big difference! The filter sits on a shelf across from the litter box closet. I just leave it running all the time. Change the filters when needed. Turn it to high when needed. (I'm looking at you, Little Man!) 

That's my product endorsement for the day. 

LizzieLou said:

I haven't tried the pine and cedar bits, but I did get one of those Hamilton Beach air filters. it has made big difference! The filter sits on a shelf across from the litter box closet. I just leave it running all the time. Change the filters when needed. Turn it to high when needed. (I'm looking at you, Little Man!) 

That's my product endorsement for the day. 

I love air purifiers so much. They really do filter out smells. Heh, I feel like I'm endorsing products too. It's true, though!

Ladyhawk said:

If one follows Jackson Galaxy, you will remember that covered and hidden cat boxes raise anxiety in cats.  We have recently kept our kittiy's box just behind a chair in the dining room.  We use horse bedding pellets (kiln dried pine, not harmful to pets,) in a Tidy Cats Breeze Hooded Cat Litter Box System.  There is no smell and the mild pine scent is lovely.  If anyone would prefer a covered box, please use a clear storage bin so the cat may see all around as he uses the box.

So just thought I'd update, I'm still using the pine and cedar litters, but I changed the box to a large Rubbermaid bin because she also used to have a habit of kicking litter everywhere. Someone who has multiple cats suggested that. The tall sides of the bin stop that habit in its tracks (lol).

T09pool said:

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent the house from smelling like cat pee and poop? In fact, even keeping the room with the litter box from stinking up?Besides keeping up with scooping..

Ladyhawk said:

If one follows Jackson Galaxy, you will remember that covered and hidden cat boxes raise anxiety in cats.  We have recently kept our kittiy's box just behind a chair in the dining room.  We use horse bedding pellets (kiln dried pine, not harmful to pets,) in a Tidy Cats Breeze Hooded Cat Litter Box System.  There is no smell and the mild pine scent is lovely.  If anyone would prefer a covered box, please use a clear storage bin so the cat may see all around as he uses the box.

I'm glad someone mentioned Jackson Galaxy, that was precisely what I was gonna say.  The horse pellets I bought we're from a Tractor Supply Company and cost $5.99/50lb. bag.  I use that same litter box but the sawdust drops into a larger litter pan below as you can see in a video on YouTube...