WalkingBetweentheLines

Story Tellers Gather Here: Don't just read. Let's write together.

WalkingBetweentheLines

This activity is fun and simple. I'll start us off with a few sentences. You add on. It can be as short or as long as you choose. You control the creative direction, but let's try to make our additions make some sort of sense.

I'll post an update, periodically, to make our story easier to follow and enjoy.

• Like 2

WalkingBetweentheLines

Distracted, she shuffled through the papers over and over. Her team ran out of work hours ago. Policy dictated that she look busy; hence, the mindless shuffling. Her distracted state, however, was caused by something all together different.

keltheimpossible
WalkingBetweentheLines said:

Distracted, she shuffled through the papers over and over. Her team ran out of work hours ago. Policy dictated that she look busy; hence, the mindless shuffling. Her distracted state, however, was caused by something all together different.

The dead body that was stretched before her desk just could not be ignored. She sighed. Her erstwhile secretary simply would NOT understand that she took her coffee black, damn it. Her contract clearly stated that there would be grave consequences for such mistakes. 

• Like 3

WalkingBetweentheLines

Now to make matters worse her tummy was making noises generally characterized by lions roaring in dens. She looked down toward the offending organ, imagining that she could nearly see the rumbling. Make that BIG lions. She had a dilemma. On one hand, she could ignore etiquette in favor of taking a few discreet sips from the meal conveniently stretched before her desk. Really, its not as if the secretary would mind, and it was the least she could do after ruining the coffee. On the other hand, working in an office filled with excorcists and slayers made staying in for lunch, for one of her kind, quite problematic. The body, in of itself, wasn't an issue. She shuddered to think what happened the last time someone forgot the CEO's Cheetos. Murder was an accepted risk for those, human or non, working for Slayers Hunters Excorcists & Equilizers or, not so lovingly, called SHEE. Snacking on a victim, though, was frowned upon by the head honchos. Hence her need for strong black coffee. It was the only thing that kept her balanced and in control around so many succulent, mouthwatering, just the right amount of sweet and salty, warm and flavorful... just one... just one... sip... Er, uhm. Control. Now.

• Like 1

keltheimpossible

No. She had no time to snack on deceased employees! She stepped over the corpse and left a note on the office door for the cleaning crew who ran the kitchen. They would be in soon to get the body for today's lunch menu. But that was not her concern. She HAD to get home as soon as possible: her shipment of giraffes was due within the hour. UPS was extremely picky about giraffe delivery these days, because so many people had taken to ordering them, and required that you be home in person in for them. No leaving the tower just on a door form anymore. 

• Like 1

WalkingBetweentheLines

Great service is a thing of the past. These days are all about offering a girl the entire bloody bank then delivering only a single, watered down bag at a higher rate at that. Regardless, moaning about it changes nothing. She still had to make it across town, through insane traffic, to get home and on time. Luckily, just up ahead was a side street where she often acquired a midnight snack or two. It was dark, private, and ran past the back entrance to a club with patrons of just the right amount of drunkenness and sexiness to make her encounters both titilating and tasty. The alley, often overlooked due to its disreputable nature and menacing look, offered quick access to the thoroughfare for those who knew exactly where to turn. It was the perfect detour, and unfortunately, the perfect distraction. She felt like she was practically dying of hunger as if she could actually die from anything less than a destroyed heart and decapitation.  Rumble. So hungry. Focus. Mind off the stomach. The growling  monster of a stomach that was very quickly becoming the center of her reality. She just needed a bit of... No, she refused to think about it. Forceably, she took control of herself, just narrowly making the necessary turn. She yanked the wheel around, whipping the car screeching and grinding toward the alley. Unperturbed by her vehicle's cries of agony, she pushed the petal nearly through the floor. No time for traffic laws or safety; she had to sign for giraffes! And who knows, if she's fast enough, maybe on the way back, she could steal a moment for a quick snack or cup of perfectly brewed black gold. With that attitude she really should not have been surprised by what happened next though surprised she was. In the very next moment, she discovered herself lying awkwardly on the pavement 15 feet from her, now, nearly unrecognizable car.

• Like 1

keltheimpossible

She gnashed her teeth in frustration, as her car galloped off. How could she have been so careless? She had let her warranty expire! And that, as she knew from sad past experience, results in your wonderful piece of German engineering turning promptly into a Questing Beast! Now she would be responsible for all and any collateral damage resulting from any attempts at capture (but only if undertaken by knights).  She cursed under her breath as she left the road. No doubt she had missed the delivery of the tower of giraffes, and now this! Fortunately, she wasn't injured. And there WAS a a diner nearby, nothing fancy, but she bet she could get a decent soylent green salad and a hot cup of joe. 

• Like 1

songbirddixie

Instead of the acid drink she'd grown accustomed to drinking, she chose a raw meal protein shake instead and wow did she ever come alive.  No longer was she interested in dead and dying bodies she slowly began to feel her humanity return into her.  This wondrous life energy began to flow within her and began electrifying the particles within her being until....

keltheimpossible

She went home and almost died several days later from  a Salmonella Virchow infection caused by the protein powder used in the shake. (They used Garden of Life, which has since RENAMED its powder.) When she got out the hospital, she vowed to steer clear of ANYTHING healthy, organic, or remotely "good for you"! She pulled over to the nearest Starbucks, got a Venti Caffe Americano with five sugars and extra cream. Then she hit Krispy Kreme and ordered four piping hot doughnuts to go. All this was just a warm-up, of course. The main course was going to be her garden boy. He had done an extremely poor job of situating the giraffes. (UPS had finally delivered the tower.) So, per her contractual agreement with her lawn maintenance company, she was entitled to consume him for supper. But only on a Tuesday. As luck (but not his) would have it, she was released on a Tuesday. 

• Like 3

WalkingBetweentheLines

A few weeks and garden boys later, her giraffes were finally arranged to perfection. She decided to throw a garden party in celebration. Quickly she realized she would need an assistant to help her with the arrangements. She needed a variety of tasty humans (pop singers were her favorite desert) who had broken agreements or would not be missed if made missing.  She needed doggy beds and ice treats for the werewolves. She had to arrange for swamp ooze to be pumped into the pond for the various swamp monsters. The list went on. There was no way she could handle the logistics on her own. Her thoughts were broken when she dropped her cell phone. Of course it slid all the way under her desk when it fell. That's why she was on hand and knee when she looked up to find the most glorious pair of legs she'd ever been blessed to witness, and the view didn't disappoint as she looked  further upwards.

"I hear you need a personal assistant", said the hypnotic voice belonging to that amazing figure.

• Like 2

WalkingBetweentheLines

This was fun. I hoped that I would come back and discover that lots of people had added their own bits to the story. Seems that's not the case. Oh well. 

keltheimpossible

I tried. But not really much participation. Still, a fun exercise for a bit.

WalkingBetweentheLines

@keltheimpossible have you run across any other creative posts?

keltheimpossible

Idk. I don't hang out here very much. Just check in occasionally to post something on the cooking thread and take a quick glance through the forums, since I have a few people there who sorta follow what I do. But for my lit needs, I have writing/reading groups on my main go-to site, agnostic.com. (The FB of the atheist crowd, lol.) I stay away from FB itself, except to check for events. Have you tried sites that are dedicated just to this type of thing? Creative writing, I mean? (See Jane Write, Aliventure, Almost an Author, etc...?) I'm more of a political and social blogger so I'm pretty much satisfied with the platform I have on WP. (Used to be poet when younger, but that has faded.) I give you mad props for trying, though, AND for your skills! I've def enjoyed reading your posts.