Coming out, again...?

PennyAnnLane

So, when I was in my 20's I came out to my parents, close friends, and family. I lived with a couple different women, at different times. Since then, I got married, had a couple of kids, and divorced...

When I broke off with the last guy I was interested in, I told my kids that the next relationship that I was going to be in, would be with a woman...

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine, and she said she had no idea that I liked women...

Up until that point, I had my 'interested in' on FB set to private, but I changed it so my friends can see it if they happen to look. Nobody has said anything about it. I don't really know how many of my friends and family would be surprised, but it's out there now...

• Like 1
PennyAnnLane said:

And I lost my best friend in high school when I told her I liked women... 

She was obviously not the friend you thought she was. Knowing that certainly doesn't lessen the hurt but personally I believe that we are better off when we are able to take those who cannot accept us in all our glory and remove them from our lives. (Even though it doesn't always feel that way at the time.)

• Like 1
Sammy Lynne said:

we are better off when we are able to take those who cannot accept us in all our glory and remove them from our lives. (Even though it doesn't always feel that way at the time.)

I agree wholeheartedly now, but not so much when I was 16, and all I just wanted was to be able to be 'me' with my best friend. It was the beginning of me doubting what I wanted. Was it worth it? 

• 2 years later...
PennyAnnLane said:

I don't really know how many of my friends and family would be surprised, but it's out there now...

So much has changed since I was last here. I had a girlfriend for awhile who knew 'everybody' in town, so it's definitely common knowledge now. I'm much happier. My friends are no longer trying to hook me up with men.

• 5 years later...

Coming out .. I think I first realize I had an interest in women when I was a young girl. Growing up on the farm, we “farm girls” always had a more Tom-boyish look about us for good reason. The only opportunities we had to put on dresses and a tiny bit of make-up was on Sundays as our family prepared for church. I admired the well dressed ladies strolling through town, or business women heading to their offices. I guess that admiration turned into “aren’t these gals really pretty” and there was a certain draw to them. I thought about what it would be like to be in their large closets full of high heels, dresses and fancy under garments. I began to day dream of having someone like that dress me or ask me to try on their clothes. Well .. without going into too much detail that’s where my attraction for women began. I suppressed it all my life .. married a man (still married .. not happily) and 3 beautiful kids. I’ve had less than a handful of “flings” .. the latest one lasting the longest. But .. my family doesn’t know.