Tired of living where you are? You're never too old to move countries.

Geekomatic

I was born in FL, USA. Fate had me moving often throughout my life there. I'd travelled as far as the Persian Gulf in that time. In 2007, fate moved me (w/2 children in tow) to AU. Since that time (& even before), I have always been curious about moving to another country. I'd move from AU in a heartbeat right now if it would help me in my life.

I believe a LOT of people currently "living" /surviving in today's US could do a LOT better if they moved. This is also true of some Aussies, depending on their lives/lifestyles.

I'm going to share a couple of videos I ran across last week. One single woman is in her 40's, the other is 65. Both chose to move to Mexico and they told their tales in short video-biographys. I'm sharing this because friends of my own aren't happy/are depressed in the NE US & I'm working to shift them to somewhere (I believe strongly, based on their visits here) that will give them back their daily joy.

Maybe this will inject a sense of wanderlust in someone here?

;)

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/08/07/inside-retiree-420-month-mazatlan-mexico-apartment.html

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/12/21/i-live-better-in-mexico-city-than-in-the-us.html

Our-beachpath-with-sailboat.jpg

• Like 1

When I'm not in the acute stages of grief so can think more clearly, I'll view these. Thank you. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for this post. Watching this from frigid northern Canada and thinking about retirement from a whole new lens. I'm the youngest by 12-14 years in my family, so when I retire they may not even be alive and I'm not close to either of my daughters, so there isn't that to keep me here. Not sure how my long haired dogs would like Mexico though.

• Like 1

The USA gov't scares people from moving. Then, they continue to sniff around for any money they can take (yes, the USA takes money earned in other countries!

FATCA

Francesonly said:

Thanks a lot for this post. Watching this from frigid northern Canada and thinking about retirement from a whole new lens. I'm the youngest by 12-14 years in my family, so when I retire they may not even be alive and I'm not close to either of my daughters, so there isn't that to keep me here. Not sure how my long haired dogs would like Mexico though.

I was honestly surprised at the 65 yr old woman & she works part-time. You'd have a CA pension of some sort? A good start if you're interested would be to join a few forums like expatforum.com and similar. You can ask about bringing pets.

https://www.expatforum.com/threads/moving-abroad-does-make-expats-happier.1511188/#post-15191284

Portugal & Spain are also popular, but more costly.

Francesonly said:

Thanks for the tip! Yes I'd have 2 pensions.

Then make folders in your bookmarks for Mexico & CA (tax-related) & get to work. Grab some sites/articles and bookmark them. When you have time, read through it. I'd probably start with CA tax stuff because it may sway your choices.

Francesonly said:

I'm the youngest by 12-14 years in my family

My sister was 22 when I was born. Imagine your mother visiting you, with your new baby in hospital, & 6 mths later you're visiting HER having your SISTER!

PS: My sis already had a son who was 2-1/2 yrs when I was born. I was born an aunt w/niece & nephew!