Death of Beloved Companion (My Whippet, Miss P)

keltheimpossible

My companion of 13 years, a much-adored whippet known as Miss P, died after a brief but very hard decline at the first of the year. I think the entire town where I live mourned her loss, as she was a such a recognized fixture here. The former mayor told me that she had been granted the status of "official dog of the Historic District" because visitors commented on her grace and beauty so often. She made a point of being welcoming to all who entered her domain and was especially kind to strangers.  Most of what I know about being a decent person I feel I learned from her shining example.  She was the best thing that ever came into my life, and I will be forever grateful for her love.

I've attached a gift I made for her before she died. 

OIG Miss P.jpeg

• Like 2

So sorry for your loss Kel. Our animal companions touch our lives so deeply and I believe we need to grieve just as we would for our 2 legged loved ones.

xxx

Frances

• Like 1
lesbotronic

That's terrible.  I'm so sorry.

I've lived my whole life with cats or dogs or both.  I'd never trade them, but that multiple of mine have died and I'm still here remains profoundly upsetting, still.  I've always coped by adopting someone new.  It didn't actually make anything better on the grief front, except as a distraction.  I'm not saying I know what's best for you, just sharing that for me I just couldn't NOT adopt someone new?

I've been asked a few times if adopting someone new "too quickly" wasn't actually disrespectful, because wasn't that like replacing them?  I never agreed because I loved each of mine enough to know they were always irreplaceable, all along.  It's not a disrespectful thought, it's just plain wrong.  More like I needed the distraction of a new companion who needs me to take care of them now, to help me cope with the loss of the last one . . . because I really do miss them JUST THAT MUCH.

But I didn't mean to make this post about me.  I hope you're doing a lot of whatever's best for you.  

Miss P looks elegant, yet full of personality, exactly like a beautiful gracious hostess.  

And if your portrait hung anywhere well-populated with dog enthusiasts, interest in whippets would rise, for real.  Who wouldn't want to meet her?

Hi Kel, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a blessing she was while she was here! And that portrait is so beautiful - she's so beautiful. I love those wings. You were lucky to have found each other.  

• Like 1
lesbotronic said:

That's terrible.  I'm so sorry.

I've lived my whole life with cats or dogs or both.  I'd never trade them, but that multiple of mine have died and I'm still here remains profoundly upsetting, still.  I've always coped by adopting someone new.  It didn't actually make anything better on the grief front, except as a distraction.  I'm not saying I know what's best for you, just sharing that for me I just couldn't NOT adopt someone new?

I've been asked a few times if adopting someone new "too quickly" wasn't actually disrespectful, because wasn't that like replacing them?  I never agreed because I loved each of mine enough to know they were always irreplaceable, all along.  It's not a disrespectful thought, it's just plain wrong.  More like I needed the distraction of a new companion who needs me to take care of them now, to help me cope with the loss of the last one . . . because I really do miss them JUST THAT MUCH.

But I didn't mean to make this post about me.  I hope you're doing a lot of whatever's best for you.  

Miss P looks elegant, yet full of personality, exactly like a beautiful gracious hostess.  

And if your portrait hung anywhere well-populated with dog enthusiasts, interest in whippets would rise, for real.  Who wouldn't want to meet her?

I had determined never to get another actual dog, though I WAS planning on getting one of Xiaomi's Cyberdogs when they became directly available to U.S. customers. However, a colleague and dear friend began sending me photos of "whippets" listed for adoption. I use quotation marks b/c upon investigation I would find no apparent whippet involved in said dog, other some wishful thinking on someone's part. But that got me looking at dogs needing homes. And thus lead me to the WORLD'S BEST SPECK! She's a 22 lb Jack Russell/Blue Heeler mix, small but mighty!, and only a little over 1 year old.  My vet described her as "A definite working dog that somehow got shrunk!" She's very fiercely protective of me and extremely sensitive. If she thinks I'm upset, she rushes to comfort. She loves loves loves peanut butter, and I've named a new cookie "Speck cookies" b/c she also loves these: cashew butter oatmeal cookies. She has amazing powers: jumping, levitation (pretty sure), climbing trees, opening bags, untying knots. But a strong chewer and destroyer of any toy except Extreme Kongs. Fetching that involves leaping is very much a favored game, and my fenced in deck is her spot of choice, weather-permitting. She likes to keep an eye on the neighborhood and fusses if she sees anything she wants to get involved in. Such a fusspot and a yenta! When she cuddles, she looks like a bear cub. I'm totally smitten, in case you can't tell! 

20240202_182144.jpg

• Like 2
LizzieLou said:

Hi Kel, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a blessing she was while she was here! And that portrait is so beautiful - she's so beautiful. I love those wings. You were lucky to have found each other.  

We were very lucky. And she was the huge love of my life! But Speck (new dog, see post quoting mods) claims that Miss P and she are in communication through their microchips. She remains a presence in our lives, and I must say gives Speck some advice on how to be a most mischievous Speck! Here's another favorite picture of her. A friend had brought me a scarf. Miss P stuck her head in bag, sure it was for her, and emerged like this: 

148643451_1097463470768705_2170473357159710035_o.jpg

• Like 1
keltheimpossible said:

I had determined never to get another actual dog, though I WAS planning on getting one of Xiaomi's Cyberdogs when they became directly available to U.S. customers. However, a colleague and dear friend began sending me photos of "whippets" listed for adoption. I use quotation marks b/c upon investigation I would find no apparent whippet involved in said dog, other some wishful thinking on someone's part. But that got me looking at dogs needing homes. And thus lead me to the WORLD'S BEST SPECK! She's a 22 lb Jack Russell/Blue Heeler mix, small but mighty!, and only a little over 1 year old.  My vet described her as "A definite working dog that somehow got shrunk!" She's very fiercely protective of me and extremely sensitive. If she thinks I'm upset, she rushes to comfort. She loves loves loves peanut butter, and I've named a new cookie "Speck cookies" b/c she also loves these: cashew butter oatmeal cookies. She has amazing powers: jumping, levitation (pretty sure), climbing trees, opening bags, untying knots. But a strong chewer and destroyer of any toy except Extreme Kongs. Fetching that involves leaping is very much a favored game, and my fenced in deck is her spot of choice, weather-permitting. She likes to keep an eye on the neighborhood and fusses if she sees anything she wants to get involved in. Such a fusspot and a yenta! When she cuddles, she looks like a bear cub. I'm totally smitten, in case you can't tell! 

20240202_182144.jpg

Lovely colours. I got a new dog (2 in 4 months) after my last one passed. Especially with rescues if you find one that fits, there's a fated quality to the match.

Have you considered Flyball with your dog?

• Like 1
keltheimpossible said:

WORLD'S BEST SPECK!

She sounds wonderful! I'm so very happy for you both  :D 

• Like 1

Update on Speck! I have a friend who calls her "Squeak," b/c she does make a noise that sounds like that-a LOT! But I think her NEW nickname will have to be "SNEAK!" First of all, she's an incredibly adroit jumper or maybe can levitate or both, since I've never actually seen how she does this. But she loves cookies, specifically homemade cookies that I make for human friends. So much so that I now ensure I only use dog-safe ingredients. So her first exploit involved jumping onto the kitchen table to get a foil-wrapped packet of cookies (browned butter toasted coconut GF teacakes made with goat butter), taking them to the bedroom, carefully unwrapping them, and then eating the cookies. We found her with crumbs on her nezzie and the foil beside her. She displayed no remorse at all, the little thief! 

Next, my friend and landlord had a wonderfully sturdy new fence built around the yard pretty much for her convenience so she could have a space to enjoy. We're talking fence posts that are cemented into the ground.  Really good gates with locks, too. And measured spaces between pickets designed to be too small for her to find any way out. So I took her out yesterday evening to let her try it. Little Miss Houdini went straight for his deck which has its own older fencing and proceeded to demonstrate exactly how she intended to escape! Luckily I had left her harness on which has a convenient handle for grabbing. When I placed her firmly back in the yard nearer my place, she went to the corner of the fence and proceeded to dig! I was flabbergasted! She'd never displayed any of these behaviors with the old rickety falling-down fence. (She escaped from that the normal way-through one gate that had been left open unbeknownst when he and I were both playing with her.) Clearly I'm still not going to be able to let her off-lead for very long even with the new fence. I told her that she's gonna break his heart!  

And I know, I should get her training. But this is nigh impossible because I DON'T DRIVE. And since I'm low-income, getting a trainer to come to me is also outta my reach. So we'll just have to muddle through the best we can. She's a 22 pound bundle of trouble and joy, and I love her dearly!